Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My engine has developed a tick when I cold start it. I just recently changed the oil as well. Seems like it started immediately after the oil change. Went with Castro fully synthetic 10w30, motor has 7k miles -ish. But after about five-ten minutes of it being started, almost at operating temperature, it stops. I can't exactly tell where the noise if coming from as well.

Any ideas? Someone told me to use a motorcraft oil filter and it'll stop. I just kinda looked at him funny. Currently has a K&N Filter.

Any help would relieve some stress of a $5,000 engine build problem.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Oil is to thick.. its probably a lash adjuster or chain tensioner.. put motorcraft 5-w30 in it and toss the k and n filter and run a purolater filter. Should clear up Ur problem

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
Agreed, stick with a 5w or 0w cold weight for oil. The thinner the better. As for filters, the Motorcraft filter will have a specific bypass valve that will flow better upon a cold start. That's what the guy was referring to. I think a Purolater is pretty close.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
I'm running 5w-30 Mobil 1 and a Mopar filter because that's what I had. I'll keep running the Mobil 1 and switch to a Motorcraft on the next change.

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
5w-20 motorcraft synthetic blend over here with motorcraft oil filter

·
Super Moderator
13,578 Posts
What motor do you have? did you break in it hard? 10W30 is not so thick it will all the sudden cause ticking at startup as a matter of Fact I run 10W30 right now in my brand new 2V motor with 0 issues and I ran it on the new motor before that, I run it in my other rmustang as well You have a mechanical issue. When you went to full synthetic did you do a engine Flush? anytime I convert a motor over to synthetic I do a flush to wash out all of the petrolium residues. I agree you can back off to a start weight of 0 or 5 but i dont think it will solve the issue as there is something else going on. What you are more then likely hearing is a hydraulic chain tensioner not pumping all the way up or a lash adjuster, i personally would be leaning towards the tensioner.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What motor do you have? did you break in it hard? 10W30 is not so thick it will all the sudden cause ticking at startup as a matter of Fact I run 10W30 right now in my brand new 2V motor with 0 issues and I ran it on the new motor before that, I run it in my other rmustang as well You have a mechanical issue. When you went to full synthetic did you do a engine Flush? anytime I convert a motor over to synthetic I do a flush to wash out all of the petrolium residues. I agree you can back off to a start weight of 0 or 5 but i dont think it will solve the issue as there is something else going on. What you are more then likely hearing is a hydraulic chain tensioner not pumping all the way up or a lash adjuster, i personally would be leaning towards the tensioner.
Manley Rods and Pistons - MMR Block
C&L TB/Plenum
Procharger P1 @13lbs 3 Core Intercooler
Full Suspension
Performance Automatic AODE 3500 Stall
Anderson Ford Custom Grind Blower Cams
31 Spline Moser Axles / Eaton POSI
Anderson Ford Powerpipe
Zex 100 Shot
Ported and Polished Heads / Intake Manifold
3.73 gears
Pypes Violator exhaust
KB BAP
Dual Cobra Pumps

Made 399rwhp/411rqtq through this tank of an automatic haha
496/501 on the juice

·
Super Moderator
13,578 Posts
MMR actually recomends 10W30 for thier motors so your running the right oil. You might just want to peak into the timing cover when you get time I know it sucks, But it really is just a days worth of work in the end. Im thinking its the tensioners or Chain guides I hope you didnt use parts house chain tensioners and guides cause THEY WILL rattle at start up.

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
If you changed the oil and the tick developed immediately then it is most likely the oil. What oil were you using before? And, 10w30 can cause a cold start tick that goes away when the engine gets warm. We have hydraulic lifters (lash adjusters). If the lifter looses pressure then it will tick until the lifter gets pumped back up. Oil flow pumps the lifter back up and thick oil doesn't flow well cold.

I had a lifter tick in one of my trucks during the winter. It never ticked during the summer. Because it was getting a lot of miles I put high mileage 10w30 in it. Lord almighty. When I started the motor the next morning I thought the motor was coming apart. I immediately drained the oil and put 5w30 back in. I now recommend 0w20 or 0w30 for cold start protection.

·
Super Moderator
13,578 Posts
what kind of weather are you experiencing in Alabama? If it gets really cold then you should adjust your oil viscocity in the winter then readjust in the summer.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Been in the 50s lately. This is motors first winter. Is the lash adjuster issue a serious issue? If so, ill park the stang until i can investigate. If its more of an annoyance im not gonna tear it down because of two minutes of tick. However, after a good listen, its more of a clack.

·
a.k.a. Racecougar
4,775 Posts
What oil pressure are you seeing at cold startup? As Eagle asked, what oil viscosity did you switch from? Has the oil pressure at operating temp dropped recently?

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Oil Pressure is spot on. The oil was straight 10w30 penzsoil dino oil from the first crank. This is the cars second oil change, well the engine. Car has 52k miles, motor maybe 6ish thousand. It's also the first time it's seen less than 60 degrees outside temp, as well. Could be either the cold or the switch to fully synthetic?

It had a motorcraft filter the previous two changes.

·
a.k.a. Racecougar
4,775 Posts
Oil Pressure is spot on.
What pressures are you seeing at cold start and operating temp? Tell me you're not relying on the stock oil switch as a gauge. Without knowing actual pressures, correctly choosing viscosity is going to be like shooting in the dark.

While I would recommend switching to a better oil filter, the filter isn't causing the ticking. If it was due to the lack of an anti-drainback valve (something Fram filters especially are famous for), the ticking would stop after a few seconds.

·
K1w1
941 Posts
...toss the k and n filter...
Why? Everything I've read says that the K&N filters are some of the best out there. And they have the bypass valve as well.
I've run K&N for more years that I care to remember and have never had a problem.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Why? Everything I've read says that the K&N filters are some of the best out there. And they have the bypass valve as well.
I've run K&N for more years that I care to remember and have never had a problem.
If that's true, than my tick may be this "lash adjuster"

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
The lash adjusters will tick if they lost pressure. In the summer or hot weather it's not as noticeable because the oil will warm up quickly. When it's cold out though, they'll tick longer because the oil is so thick and takes time to get pumped up from the pan to the heads. Mine does this, but it's gone after 30-60 seconds, less time in the summer. If it's taking 10 minutes then there might be an issue.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts