Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, been researching these forums for a while now, and there is a GREAT amount of information around here. So I figured I would ask...

I own a 98 GT, it had ticking issues for the past few months. Eliminated things one by one on my own. I've replaced all of the lifters and inspected the cams and rollers at that time. Still was ticking. It sounds like it's in the 8th cylinder. Anyhow, as a precaution i replaced the timing chain tensioners, they were getting worn out and had to be replaced within the next year or so, but that wasn't either.

Just two days ago, I had a local mechanic come out and try and diagnose the issue. After about 2 hours of different things he says more then likely it is a valve in the 8th cylinder either slamming or worn extremely out and that it's nothing to worry about if I was going to swap PI heads anyway it will be just an annoying sound till then. Sounds good right? No.

I go out and drive about 15 mins to the store and spend like an hour or so there. Hop back in, start heading home and as I'm pulling out of the parking spot I notice the ticking isn't there anymore... Puzzled as hell I put it in 1st and start going. Around 2k RPMs... " Knock Knock Knock"... WTF...

Drove home listening to it knock (also had a sound of like little metal pieces clicking together, metallic click) thinking the worst and hoping it's not. It's not present when the engine is cold, unless I begin driving then it's anything over 3k RPMs. With the engine warm it is a quiet knock, and not extremely noticeable when you begin drive, 2k is when it begins being noticeable. Anything over about 1600-1800 when shifting becomes LOUD as then engine winds down.

This morning I drained the oil out and used a very fine filter scoop to go through the oil to see if there was ANY metal shavings in it.... To my surprise, no shavings.... AT ALL..... Was going to remove the oil pan to be sure but came on here first to get some good advice.

Correct me if I'm wrong... and please tell me I'm right because I go back to work on Wednesday.... I didn't spin a rod bearing because there isn't any shavings or chunks in my oil?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
....dam.... that video in that thread is almost exactly what im looking at right here.... thanks man

·
Registered
152 Posts
con rod spun bearing and in need of rebuild 175$ to get crank turned and 18$ to resize each rod plus all labour to pull the nightmare 4.6 out of it tiny hole im in the middle of this right now i had a knock knock knock so i parked it at friends and pulled mototr out and it the #6 doing all the noise we got it out before a rod came loose

1 - 4 of 4 Posts