Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When my car is idling it doesnt make a noise. When I push on the gas to accelerate a little it makes a ticking noise in the engine. When I let off it stops. When I accelerate a little faster it stops but if I accelerate quickly to a top speed it starts again until I let out.

Any suggestions what this might be. I had the trans overhauled about a month ago and change my fluids regularly. I am assuming if it was the motor it would do it all the time.

Could it be an idler pully?

·
Registered
575 Posts
exhaust leak, cam chain tensioner, worn chain guides??????? could be several things

·
Registered
374 Posts
valve tick? just throwing that out there possible but generally you'd here that at idle.

·
Registered
6 Posts
What are you running for manifolds? If your using headers, sometimes the bolts that come with the kit back out and can cause a leak (tick). I was told to use the factory studs with nuts when possible. Also it;s a must to use Ford manifold gaskets.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I checked the oil and it was realy low. I am assuming I will need a new engine. My brother in law who is a mechanic is taking a look at it Sunday. He was going to replace the idler pully and camshaft position sensor then.

I have checked the prices of a motor for the GT but was wondering if I have to make many mods if I put a cobra engine it the car.

·
Registered
548 Posts
i would check lower intake manifolds, for an exhaust leak or it could maybe be a sticking lifter, worn rocker, ticking sounds can be cause from carbon build up in the motor also. What kind of gas you using?

·
PSN alphadong11
28,936 Posts
Is this engine pretty much the same as a 99 f-150? My moms truck does the same thing. At idle there is no tick and at around 1500 rpms it starts. I can tell its not an exhaust tick. Definitely an impact sound. My moms mechanic said its normal and I am calling major bullshit. But I know I wont work on the damn thing, no room.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have been using regular gas and there has been gas leaking from undeneath the car when I fill it up. After I start the car and drive it it is fine and it doesnt leak when I dont fill up. My father in law backed into my car by the gas tank about a week ago.

·
Registered
812 Posts
in the classified threads there is a guy parting out a mach one, and he just got another car to start parting out, you could go ask him bout that engine

·
Registered
812 Posts
oh when I bought my Cobalt SS, it was brand new, after about 2k miles I started getting a really annoying ticking sound, I ran some octane boost in the gas and the ticking went away, just a thought

·
Registered
437 Posts
Can I put a cobra engine in the car with out any modifications?
depends what cobra your talking about, if you want to put a termi engine in, youd need the engine, transmission, ecu, fuel pump, and all that is bolted to the engine. (i think thats it for it.) but if you want to but in an engine from 96-when ever the termi started (i forget what year) then you would need the engine, trans, ecu (would be a good idea, not sure if you NEED it.) and im not sure if you would need a new fuel pump. someone let me know if im missing anything. :eek:

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
i dont think youll need a transmission? if you have the WHOLE cobra motor all youll need is the wiring harness i believe. o and ecu

·
Registered
548 Posts
oh when I bought my Cobalt SS, it was brand new, after about 2k miles I started getting a really annoying ticking sound, I ran some octane boost in the gas and the ticking went away, just a thought
ya i have been trying that for a while ticking doesn't go away, i have an exhaust leak, thought for sure it was a lifter, but got it checked out exhaust leak.

·
Registered
812 Posts
lol yeah, thats good news tho!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts