Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought a new edge for a pretty good deal from a co worker. It’s had a lot done like a new jasper motor, Detroit rear end, built tranny, short throw shifter etc. just basic stuff. When I started the car for the first time there was a ticking noise. I was told it was because it was sitting and the lifters probably just needed to be pumped up
so I drove it home. Still ticking. Changed the oil, still ticking. It’s a very odd tick. The ticking is all the time. At low rpm through high rpm. I’ve pulled valve covers off and everything looks good. Motor probably doesn’t even have 1500 miles on it. Checked for blown spark plugs nothing. It isn’t injectors because it’s a very slow tick, but increases with rpm. Bottom end sounds good. I’ve checked exhaust manifolds to see if they have cracked but nothing is indicating a leak. I mean the car runs like a bat outta hell but the ticking noise is terrible. If I could get some kind of help it would be much appreciated, thank you !

·
Registered
2 Posts
Could it be timing chain in front of engine?
First thing i would do is remove oil filter,put filter in vice and sawza the top off of filter and look for sighnes of metal or plastic particles.i do this to every cobra or gt truck engine i rebuild it will rule out shortblock and timeing issues.have a good clean pan to dump filter oil in.after oil change with no metal found there try this.start car and pull a spark plug coil wire off one at a time and see if tick changes with a certain cylinder with no spark we checking piston slap in a cylinder.also check for a leak in the round steel pipe comeing off the drivers side exhaust manifold and connects to intake.

·
Registered
69 Posts
The most common reason that a lifter will tick is because the lifter itself has gone bad. Replacing a lifter is a pretty challenging job. It involves taking a decent portion of the engine apart. If it is a timing chain the sound will change when the gas is pushed and released.

·
Registered
13,628 Posts
Maybe it's not a lifter and just an exhaust leak.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Could be a small exhaust some where in the system. My 07 had a small one where the mid pipe connects to the manifold it did not start causing driveability issues til it got larger. Bolts had just worked themselves lose over time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts