Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple months ago my engine started ticking. It sounds like an exhaust leak but neither I or my mechanic could find one. My mechanic is suspecting a lifter is starved of oil or going bad. Pulling the valve cover off, what are some things I could do to check clearances with the lifters, valves, rockers, etc and verify everything is as it should or need to be replaced? I have never done anything like this before so the more detail the better.

First I'm going to do a seafoam treatment to see if an oil port is struggling on a lifter.

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
I had a leaking lifter in a Chevy V8. It would go down when the truck sat and it was clatter like crazy on startup. The noise went away as soon as the oil got flowing. I tried putting in a thick oil once to see that that would do. Big mistake. It clattered louder and took longer to pump up. I drove the truck that way for years.

Does you lifter pump up after the motor warms up?

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not quite sure what the means. I haven't taken the valve cover off yet, because it's my DD, so that will have to wait till the weekend. I have a video of it the noise. The engine is at normal operating temp.

https://youtu.be/ay98o2P7fA8

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
A lifter tick is a result of the hydraulic lifter loosing oil and collapsing a little increasing the rocker arm slap (the gap between the top of the lifter and the rocker arm.) The tick is the rocker arm striking the lifter. Once the oil gets hot and starts flowing if not stuck the hydraulic lifter will fill with oil expanding to get rid of the extra slap. That is what the lifter in my truck did. And the ticking would go away when the engine warmed up. If it doesn't it could be dirt clogging the lifter or a bad lifter.

Hydraulic lifters are much better today. At one time if you wished to spin the motor faster than 5000 rpms you have to use solid lifters. If you didn't the lifters would collapse a little and the valves wouldn't open all the way. I once built a motor with solid lifters. Solid lifters make a ton of noise because the slap has to be a lot bigger than hydraulic lifters.

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
That's a pretty significant tick at idle. If it is an exhaust leak, it will make a lot more exhaust noise when revving the engine. I have an exhaust leak, but the ticking noise is only audible when the engine is under load. Does the engine still run healthy? No misfires, hesitation or poor gas mileage?

I don't have any experience with checking clearance on engine internals, but if it were my car I would rule out the basics first by checking the oil level, running a compression test on all cylinders to rule out a bent valve, ensuring to torque the spark plugs back to spec (13 ft/lb), and as you said, hitting it with a good seafoam treatment.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A lifter tick is a result of the hydraulic lifter loosing oil and collapsing a little increasing the rocker arm slap (the gap between the top of the lifter and the rocker arm.) The tick is the rocker arm striking the lifter. Once the oil gets hot and starts flowing if not stuck the hydraulic lifter will fill with oil expanding to get rid of the extra slap. That is what the lifter in my truck did. And the ticking would go away when the engine warmed up. If it doesn't it could be dirt clogging the lifter or a bad lifter.

Hydraulic lifters are much better today. At one time if you wished to spin the motor faster than 5000 rpms you have to use solid lifters. If you didn't the lifters would collapse a little and the valves wouldn't open all the way. I once built a motor with solid lifters. Solid lifters make a ton of noise because the slap has to be a lot bigger than hydraulic lifters.
Thanks for the info!

That's a pretty significant tick at idle. If it is an exhaust leak, it will make a lot more exhaust noise when revving the engine. I have an exhaust leak, but the ticking noise is only audible when the engine is under load. Does the engine still run healthy? No misfires, hesitation or poor gas mileage?

I don't have any experience with checking clearance on engine internals, but if it were my car I would rule out the basics first by checking the oil level, running a compression test on all cylinders to rule out a bent valve, ensuring to torque the spark plugs back to spec (13 ft/lb), and as you said, hitting it with a good seafoam treatment.
The car runs great, and aside from the tick the engine sounds healthy. Oil levels are fine and I haven't notice any decrease in gas mileage. I'm going to drive it a couple days with sea foam in the oil and this weekend empty it out and run a compression test.

Could be your cam phasers.
I don't think this generation of 2v has cam phasers...

·
6 Cylinduh, Really Bruh?
5,218 Posts
Given the location of the sound it sounds like an exhaust leak. Do you have long tubes by chance? Is it louder from under the hood or from under the car?

Exhaust leaks are hard to locate. Either smoke the exhaust or bubble test it. Basically block off one pipe and stick a shop vac in the other blowing air into the exhaust. Take soapy water and spray everywhere to see if bubbles form. Take care to spray on the manifold to engine gaskets and manifold to mid pipe connections. Atleast that would rule that out.

F150s of our year seem to be notorious with this issue. I'd have to Google what the core issue is but it's worth looking into so you can get ideas.

·
Registered
4,557 Posts
Given the location of the sound it sounds like an exhaust leak. Do you have long tubes by chance? Is it louder from under the hood or from under the car?

Exhaust leaks are hard to locate. Either smoke the exhaust or bubble test it. Basically block off one pipe and stick a shop vac in the other blowing air into the exhaust. Take soapy water and spray everywhere to see if bubbles form. Take care to spray on the manifold to engine gaskets and manifold to mid pipe connections. Atleast that would rule that out.

F150s of our year seem to be notorious with this issue. I'd have to Google what the core issue is but it's worth looking into so you can get ideas.
I agree it sounds just like my 02 and that thing has a few lol. If you still have stock manifolds that side has a ball and socket type connector which is notorious for leaking.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Looks like I dodged a bullet. It wasn't an exhaust leak but in fact a lifter starved of oil. I put seafoam into the oil on Wednesday and have been driving the car normally since, and yesterday I noticed the ticking was gone.

If anyone else encounters this and seafoam doesn't work you can add about a qt of transmission fluid to your oil. It has much stronger detergents than seafoam. If that doesn't work then you will have to open the top end and inspect for damaged parts.

·
6 Cylinduh, Really Bruh?
5,218 Posts
Interesting. I've seafoamed my intake but never put it in my oil. I did do an engine flush once. Basically run the crap in your oil for 100 miles then do an oil change and watch the crap droop out. Is seafoam similar?

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My mechanic recommended the seafoam then the tranny fluid treatment. An engine flush is probably a more concentrated form of seafoam, because they (seafoam) recommends putting it in a few days before every oil change.

Overall I'm quite happy with it. I also put it in my gas too and I have notice overall less ticking noises coming from the engine bay. I won't use it every oil change but I might do it once a year to clean things out. I'm excited this worked because it keeps me on track to supercharging my car this summer.

·
6 Cylinduh, Really Bruh?
5,218 Posts
My mechanic recommended the seafoam then the tranny fluid treatment. An engine flush is probably a more concentrated form of seafoam, because they (seafoam) recommends putting it in a few days before every oil change.

Overall I'm quite happy with it. I also put it in my gas too and I have notice overall less ticking noises coming from the engine bay. I won't use it every oil change but I might do it once a year to clean things out. I'm excited this worked because it keeps me on track to supercharging my car this summer.
Good stuff! Thanks for the info. I know what I'll be doing when my next oil change comes up. Glad it worked out for you as well!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts