Modded Mustang Forums banner

ticking sounds when accerlating

3K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  mustang95 5.0 
#1 ·
i just replaced the exhaust manifold, because they were cracked but the car is still ticking at an idle, but most noticable when giving the car gas around 30 mph or higher any idea what it is???

#3 ·
actually, i think my brother had the same problem in his 2000 v6. **** i cant remember what the cause of it was. ill ask him and get back to you. i remember it had that ticking sound... hmmm

#6 ·
that video fixed my problem lol. that was hilarious. i already fixed an exhaust leak i have but the damn thing keeps ticking when accerlating it really annoying :mad:and seems to come from the right side more than the left??

#5 ·
I have the same exact problem. Change the exhaust manifold on the right side (left was fine) but still have the ticking.

#8 ·
i did the left exhaust manifold had a leak but the right side one was fine still making the ticking noise im thinking its the lifters but not sure. at an idle it ticks but when i really get on the car thats when i hear it the most

#13 ·
probably a sticky lifter...

#14 ·
I have that... Changed my oil from 5w30 to 20w50... went away after that.

#16 ·
you have to be careful with that thick oil man. It can cause failure of the oil pump and your parts to be not properly lubricated.

#17 ·
In my experience there are two problems that cause the ticking noise (usually I would describe it as quite metallic and louder than a tick).

An exhaust leak is one possibility and likely what is going on if the noise occurs while accelerating. The common leak points are cracked manifolds or a leak between the manifold and converter assembly. One thing to check is that the shouldered manifold studs are tight. If they are not all the way up the spacer may keep the pipe from sealing.

The other common problem is wear in the rocker arms. They wear at the fulcrums which causes more valve clearance than the lifter can compensate for.

#20 ·
im pretty sure its a loose rocker, just wanted to make sure i was on the right track before taking everything apart, i just fixed and exhaust leak on the left exhaust manifold, and checked the right side manifold but its fine, my last option now is the rockers to check. hopefully this weekend car will be running tick free :) thanks for all the input everyone

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.