Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so my car overall runs fine but when i slam on it it ticks like crazy almost like a grind but other than that it runs fine. its a stock 91 5.0 i have no idea what it could be. maybe a miss? but where do i start to look?

·
Registered
816 Posts
well my guess would be pinnging (or pre-detonation), a while ago i didnt know what it was either, are you running advanced timing?

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oh and sometimes when i floor it from a complete stop it dies on me. starts rights up though

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
um no i guess my timing could be off. i havent checked it. i just wanted to get more opinions before i started messing with it

·
That Regular Guy
10,393 Posts
Where's the sound coming from? Under the drivers side? Passenger? Does it sound like something is bouncing around?

·
That Regular Guy
10,393 Posts
From the engine? Or underneath the car?

·
Registered
650 Posts
If it sounds like a marble in a tin can...that's pinging.

If it just started happening and you didn't **** with your timing, I would rule that out.

·
Atomized
1,397 Posts
i'd probably stop slamming on it. Well I'm gonna assume you have a massive turbo on the car that's causing your 408 to detonate. I'm gonna say it's because one of your twin walboro's are going out. Or maybe it's comming from your aluminum heads... Or it's how you degreed your f cam.. Oh it's probably your awesome cool bro ford racing headers.. Probably for sure comming from your bbk manifold. Oh that's right you didn't tell us a god damn thing about the car so it's probably one of those. Feel free to rep me

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i said its a stock 5.0 and i guess it would be more of a pinging. and it started not to long ago my car died and wouldnt start i changed all kinds of things i did pull the distributor but i thought i set the timing right considering it ran fine until about a week after then the pinging started. once again it is a complete STOCK.. thanks for any suggestions guys

·
Registered
68 Posts
http://http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/consumer/autos/aut12.shtmi would just dive it normal untill that tank is almost gone.Then put a higer grade gas in there with higher octane because, the higher octane has the same principal as retarding the timing. or you can get that octane booster from the auto store i dont even know if that stuff really works lol i would try to fill up with like 93 octane if you can afford it

·
Atomized
1,397 Posts
i said its a stock 5.0 and i guess it would be more of a pinging. and it started not to long ago my car died and wouldnt start i changed all kinds of things i did pull the distributor but i thought i set the timing right considering it ran fine until about a week after then the pinging started. once again it is a complete STOCK.. thanks for any suggestions guys
didn't see the stock part man.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts