Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm finally attending my new engine for for my cobra. I was putting the new Ford secondary chains on and found that in order to get the chain on the passenger head, I have to loosen the cam caps on one cam, put the chain and sprockets on and tighten it back down. It seems way too tight to me, but I can't figure how it could be wrong. The chains are factory ford replacements. Does anyone have any ideas or thoughts on this? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When I release the tensioner it does push out a little bit, so it isn't completely compressed. It's all brand new components, cams included.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I may have misread that, even with the tensioner compressed and pinned, it is impossible to get the chain and sprockets on without loosening one cam up.

·
Super Moderator
13,581 Posts
PICS?

·
King Trashmouth
21,891 Posts
Yeah that's way too tight. I left my cams in place, tensioner pinned, and I did put the chain on both sprockets and then slide them on for ease of assembly. But at no point did I have to loosen any cam caps. Unfortunately I do not have any spare secondary chains to measure for you. Are these factory sprockets?

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They are the cloyes adjustable gears. I have another set of chains with like 10k miles on them with stock cams, do you think one of those would be ok to reuse if it's looser?

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mmr told me as long as the cams aren't binding up, I should be fine. They said it can't be tighter than when I have full oil pressure to the tensioner. I might be ok to run it like that. I guess? Lol

1 - 9 of 9 Posts