Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I replaced my factory clutch about 6 months ago due to a bad throwout bearing. I didnt research enough and i winded up buying a POS Spec stage 1. Well the chattering is driving me nuts and i know itll slowly destroy the rest of the drivetrain. SO im looking into getting another clutch. Any suggestions?

Also flywheel suggestions?

** The car is daily driven**
**I dont want too hard of a pedal**
**Trying to stay around 300$

Thanks guys

·
Banned
7,007 Posts
What are your power levels now and what do you plan for power in the future?

I've heard awesome things about the fidanza 2.1 clutch and flywheel. Someone will probably mention the king cobra and the centerforce clutches as well.

·
April 2012 ROTM
4,739 Posts
stock resurfaced flywheel and a centerforce dual friction will hold a good amount of power and have a nice pedal feel

·
Banned
7,007 Posts
IMHO I would get a new flywheel. You don't really know how the car was driven before you had it and the previous owner might have rodded the piss out of the car and been hard on the flywheel. Getting it resurfaced is okay, but I guess I always have the mindset that as long as I'm in there replacing stuff I might as well do everything.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Agree w/ the flywheel...I got a new billet steel off ebay pretty darn cheap...i think around $100 and now I know it's good.
As for the SPEC...I just had to change my TOB after a whopping 30 miles (woo hoo!!!) Now i have the Ford Racing TOB and it is definitely smoother w/ less chatter (spec III) so whatever way u decide to go w/ a clutch do yourself a BIG favor...order a Ford Racing TOB (like $40 from summit) and don't live my nightmare :) And i am not alone on this one either!

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
well the car has 87,XXX right now last time i did the clutch we never it professional resurfaced we just took a grinder to it to take the graze off. But the only thing i was lookin at is aluminum, i think, weighs like 13 lbs (or 17 i forget) and steel weighs around like 26.....the factory nodular iron is dead center at 21lbs i think.....i dont want aluminum since its daily driven and i dont know if i want steel since its heavier then factory and will just make me lose RWHP

right now the car has mild bolt ons and suspension work....the next things r 3.73 gears with a t-loc rebuild and bearing kit, LTs, and hopefully a livewire tuner....but im putting these on hold to fix this annoying clutch problem

in the future depending on how the car treats me...i would like to do cams.....then maybe heads then maybe some type of F/I....who knows :)

·
Registered
95 Posts
well...the new billet versus the stock unit didn't really feel any different in weight to me at all. As for a loss of rwhp...i really believe it's pretty minimal at best. If I thought it was really going to cost me, I would of went aluminum and check my garage...i care about HP numbers :)

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Give Walt @ Promotion a call. He hooked me up with one of their Super King Cobra kits for cheap (well under $300). Great clutch, easy on the transmission and holds everything I throw at it. :cool:

·
Old timer
9,296 Posts
Fidanza 2.1 and their flywheel is a great combo. I had both in my mach, along with a spex stage 2 and a stage 2+, the fidanza was much better.

Also make sure you get a oem tob.

·
Registered
5,865 Posts
Why does everyone say to get a Ford TOB??? What's wrong with aftermarket TOBs??? I've heard a **** load of people say that and I still don't understand the reason...

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Why does everyone say to get a Ford TOB??? What's wrong with aftermarket TOBs??? I've heard a **** load of people say that and I still don't understand the reason...
the aftermarket tends to use lighter smaller materials on their tob's to reduce weight. This is a good concept, but poorly performed by everyone who makes the bearings. in the process of reducing the weight they weaken the bearings and they just dont hold up like a big, clunky, factory ford bearing does.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
The centerforce Dual friction clutch is the best clutch for the money out there, no question! as far as other options go, you get what you pay for in most cases. id suggest you get yourself a FRPP billett steel flywheel to go along with the centerforce kit. ive had the centerforce kit on my car for nearly 3 years now and i beat the **** out of it. still grabs hard and the pedal weight is great. most other performance clutches require you to get a gym membership first and do claf raises just to be able to withstand the pedal weight. the centerforce is a great performing kit and the pedal weight is very comfortable.

·
Registered
5,865 Posts
Oohh I see. That's ****in gay :-|
so ur sayin when I replace my clutch/flywheel with Fidanza clutch/flywheel I should buy a oem TOB?

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Oohh I see. That's ****in gay :-|
so ur sayin when I replace my clutch/flywheel with Fidanza clutch/flywheel I should buy a oem TOB?
yes! DO NOT get any aftermarket throw out bearing.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
The fidanza 2.1 is 279.99
the centerforce dual friction is about 364.99

thats the only thing thats making the fidanza look better to me right now. how was the fidanza's pedal effort?
id get the centerforce. dont use the fidanza TOB that come with that kit if you go with the fidanza

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
yea i know. The FRPP TOB sounds like the way to go.....does anybody know if they have that at dealerships? or should i just go through jegs or summit.
ford has them. summit doesnt have it nor does jegs

·
Registered
95 Posts
Reactions: LAWNDART02
1 - 20 of 73 Posts