Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Billy Weston
5,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wanted to get a few of you alls opinions. I this a good way to start?
All of this is going on a 03 Cobra w/ Straight axle.

Copy and paste from my wishlist :D

-MM Full Length Subframe Connectors Bare Steel - For 94- 04 Mustangs
-MM Strut Tower Brace Powder Coated Black - For 03-04 Cobra
-MM Caster Camber Plates - For 94-04 Mustangs
-MM Front Coil-Over Kit and Hypercoil Spring Package - For 79-04 Mustangs with Bilstein struts w/ 325lbs/in (using stock Bilstein strut)
-Bilstein Heavy Duty Rear Shock (Each) - For 94-04 Mustangs (replacement for stock GT shock from axle swap)
-H&R Rear Race springs

:eek:

·
MM's official Chevy guy
2,024 Posts
what are the goals for this, auto x type of cornering, just a mean streat car, or drag.

also how extream do you want to go with this set up

·
Billy Weston
5,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what are the goals for this, auto x type of cornering, just a mean streat car, or drag.

also how extream do you want to go with this set up
Yeah I should have mentioned that autox/roadrace. I'll probably end up going pretty extreme if I stick with it. So right now I starting with parts that I can grow into. I know the front spring rate is low if I end up going rear coil over but thats something I can change when the time comes.

·
MM's official Chevy guy
2,024 Posts
Ok well I’m not going to get to much in to brands but maxium is good and so are a few others.

Ok so coil overs all around would be a nice start.
A front strut tower brace would be a nice stiffener along will full subframs.

Don’t know how you did the live axle swap but if you went with upper lower control arms a good mod would be to get adjustable lowers then replace the uppers with a 3 link or parallel 4 link. And a panhard bar or watts link.

Also tubular A arms.

Keep in mind for an extreme set up wear you want to get the best performance from your car at the track, having more adjustability will always help to give you a bit more of an edge.

Also upgraded sway bars front and back.

Also upgrading your bushings.

This is a start
hope it helps
If you have more questions feel free to ask.

·
Billy Weston
5,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok well I’m not going to get to much in to brands but maxium is good and so are a few others.

Ok so coil overs all around would be a nice start.
A front strut tower brace would be a nice stiffener along will full subframs.

Don’t know how you did the live axle swap but if you went with upper lower control arms a good mod would be to get adjustable lowers then replace the uppers with a 3 link or parallel 4 link. And a panhard bar or watts link.

Also tubular A arms.

Keep in mind for an extreme set up wear you want to get the best performance from your car at the track, having more adjustability will always help to give you a bit more of an edge.

Also upgraded sway bars front and back.

Also upgrading your bushings.

This is a start
hope it helps
If you have more questions feel free to ask.
The rear now is a stock GT setup other than some lakewood lower control arms and the guts of the rear-end. I've been reading into possibly putting a panhard bar in the back but I'm not sure if i should go that way yet. Do you think I would benefit more if I went ahead and put a MM k-member and a-arms in the front before I start messing with the rear?

·
MM's official Chevy guy
2,024 Posts
The rear now is a stock GT setup other than some lakewood lower control arms and the guts of the rear-end. I've been reading into possibly putting a panhard bar in the back but I'm not sure if i should go that way yet. Do you think I would benefit more if I went ahead and put a MM k-member and a-arms in the front before I start messing with the rear?
they are never a bad mod however fords set up is Horrible for lateral exhalation. So that is why I suggest getting rid of the upper control arms. And going with one of those set ups.

However the a arms an k member will help you nock some weight off the front witch is always good on these cars that will help.

But from what I have herd from other racers that have all this done they said they felt the biggest difference when they redid the rear end set up.

·
Billy Weston
5,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
they are never a bad mod however fords set up is Horrible for lateral exhalation. So that is why I suggest getting rid of the upper control arms. And going with one of those set ups.

However the a arms an k member will help you nock some weight off the front witch is always good on these cars that will help.

But from what I have herd from other racers that have all this done they said they felt the biggest difference when they redid the rear end set up.
Whats setups were they going with? Links would be great :D

·
MM's official Chevy guy
2,024 Posts
Whats setups were they going with? Links would be great :D
i don't know what there exact set ups but i know they said the 3 link or parallel 4
Either of witch
with the watts or panhard.

·
Billy Weston
5,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
After lots and lots of reading MM's panhard/torque arm setup may be the best way to go later down the road....

·
EMT
6,566 Posts
put your IRS back in if you want it to handle better. the straight axle is mostly for drag. the IRS was best suited for cornering. then get the IRS traction kit and some better bushings, springs, K member kit, coil overs, sub frame conectors, front n rear sway bar, etc etc...

·
Billy Weston
5,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
put your IRS back in if you want it to handle better. the straight axle is mostly for drag. the IRS was best suited for cornering. then get the IRS traction kit and some better bushings, springs, K member kit, coil overs, sub frame conectors, front n rear sway bar, etc etc...
The stock IRS isn't that great even modified it pretty much sucks. After reading some more last night I was thinking about a torque arm and PHB.

·
MM's official Chevy guy
2,024 Posts
The stock IRS isn't that great even modified it pretty much sucks. After reading some more last night I was thinking about a torque arm and PHB.
ya i had been thinking about trying to pick one up but then discovered it isen't realy worth the extra money / weight. you are beter off geting a good set up on a live axle. will cost less or the same and praform as well or better.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Weird, maximum said they can make the irs handle as well as the solid rear, I'm actually looking at getting one myself to drop in a 95 track car. At any rate the panhard/torque arm rear will make a huge difference in your car from what I understand. Maximum also told me to start at the rear and move forward, after you stiffen the frame up.

·
Registered
452 Posts
The stock IRS isn't that great even modified it pretty much sucks.
^ False...

But an MM T/A and PHB is a very proven solid-axle setup. Also, take a look at Griggs Racing.

Weird, maximum said they can make the irs handle as well as the solid rear, I'm actually looking at getting one myself to drop in a 95 track car. At any rate the panhard/torque arm rear will make a huge difference in your car from what I understand. Maximum also told me to start at the rear and move forward, after you stiffen the frame up.
True, true, and true.

·
Billy Weston
5,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So anyways with the minor differences between the IRS and straight axles after being modified i will still like the added strength of the straight axle. :)

·
Registered
452 Posts
So anyways with the minor differences between the IRS and straight axles after being modified i will still like the added strength of the straight axle. :)
That's certainly understandable...

My point was just to say that the IRS doesn't "suck" once modified as suggested.

·
Billy Weston
5,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That's certainly understandable...

My point was just to say that the IRS doesn't "suck" once modified as suggested.
No maybe you just misunderstood me. The IRS does perform well but if it was engineered better from the get go it could obliterate the live axle setups. So the IRS sucks compared to other IRS setups.

·
Registered
452 Posts
No maybe you just misunderstood me. The IRS does perform well but if it was engineered better from the get go it could obliterate the live axle setups. So the IRS sucks compared to other IRS setups.
Ehh... obviously, there were compromises made, but one of the biggest problems with the stock setup is all the soft rubber bushings in the mounting points, the control arms, and the differential supports... things that can be improved upon with delrin, UHMW, and polyurethane replacements. The "looseness" resulting from the poor bushings is also one of the major contributing factors to wheel hop and, ultimately, breakage... which is often perceived as weakness.

Case in point... Maximum Motorsports car #91 originally had a solid axle w/ TA and PHB. They switched to an IRS w/ their bushings, cooler, etc, and (as far as I remember) dropped 2 or 3 SECONDS off their lap time at a given track. I wish I still had the exact track and numbers, but they don't seem to exist anymore. Point is, though, even the MM car is faster with an IRS than their fully built solid axle car. Above that, the professional driver of the #91 MM car made it very clear in a post-race interview that he far prefers the IRS to the solid axle.

·
EMT
6,566 Posts
thats what i said in a sence but was shut down with a "IRS sucks" :lol

·
Registered
112 Posts
Griggs told me they much prefer the solid axle, they actually go and do a bit of work to the rear to add camber on the solid axle to make it handle better. The guy I talked to felt the irs was to heavy, and not strong enough. Claimed they can make a solid rear ride as good as a irs and handle better.

I've spent prolly a couple hours on the phone with MM as well. Both companies are very easy to talk to about my project, though MM is more supportive of what I am trying to do. They both have very different opinions on what to do though.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts