Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So of course the desert is taking it's tole on my poor car. So I have a new plan of action under way. On the way are a 3 row Mishimoto radiator, redesigned mishimoto brackets to prevent radiator from cracking, moroso coolant expansion tank, gates upper and lower hoses and a new motocraft cap :) Can't wait to put this in next weekend but I know it's going to be a PIA. May upgrade fans in the stock one starts to be a pain to get in lol.

·
Premium Member
2,706 Posts
Looks good. Not to bring up a big debate, but are you planning on changing the thermostat? I've heard you also need to change when the cooling fans turn on in your tune if you do that. Just curious.

I like that coolant tank, looks sexy!

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had a 180 in it but then I ended up needing to replace it and all they had in stock was the stock temp thermostat. I am planning to throw a new 180 in there. I would change my fan settings but I would need someone to adjust them in my sniper tune for me :(

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
I just finished installing an aluminum radiator and fan shroud in my car, and datalogged before and after in the 96 degree heat.

Steady 60mph, both held steady at 196 degrees.

Sitting still, the stocker would creep up to 202 degrees, and then settle at 200 forever. The aluminum radiator would hold steady at 196 degrees.

Because of the aftermarket shroud, I had to make a choice, low speed fan or high speed fan only. I chose high speed (duh), and turned down the high speed turn-on temp to 185 degrees.

So not a huge difference with the big aluminum radiator at all.

Be prepared to move your ABS pump back though.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just finished installing an aluminum radiator and fan shroud in my car, and datalogged before and after in the 96 degree heat.

Steady 60mph, both held steady at 196 degrees.

Sitting still, the stocker would creep up to 202 degrees, and then settle at 200 forever. The aluminum radiator would hold steady at 196 degrees.

Because of the aftermarket shroud, I had to make a choice, low speed fan or high speed fan only. I chose high speed (duh), and turned down the high speed turn-on temp to 185 degrees.

So not a huge difference with the big aluminum radiator at all.

Be prepared to move your ABS pump back though.

Looks great! Thanks for all the info! I really need to get someone to redo my fan temps in my tune. I am dealing with a bad radiator right now and can't drive in traffic or temps will reach as high as 230 if you try to even run the AC. How did you move your ABS back? I planned to slot the holes in the bracket like I saw someone else do on SVTP. But what should I slot them with? Heard I only need to go back like 1/4 inch.

·
Registered
7,991 Posts
odd I spent July-Nov in Phoenix last year and saw 115+ all the time and stock cooling system in my 05 F150 never hickuped once. Never ran hot, never came close. Hell while driving out there with a LOADED cab/bed it never over heated.

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
Looks great! Thanks for all the info! I really need to get someone to redo my fan temps in my tune. I am dealing with a bad radiator right now and can't drive in traffic or temps will reach as high as 230 if you try to even run the AC. How did you move your ABS back? I planned to slot the holes in the bracket like I saw someone else do on SVTP. But what should I slot them with? Heard I only need to go back like 1/4 inch.
The GT ABS pump is physically larger than the Cobra pump. I don't have ABS on my car, but SillyRabbit and I did the install on my car, and compared where the lines were with mine, and I noticed his pump on his was larger than mine, and would more than likely have to be moved backwards. The pump itself didn't seem to be as much of a problem as the lines with the aftermarket fans.

odd I spent July-Nov in Phoenix last year and saw 115+ all the time and stock cooling system in my 05 F150 never hickuped once. Never ran hot, never came close. Hell while driving out there with a LOADED cab/bed it never over heated.
Yeah, the stock cooling systems are very efficient in these newer vehicles, there's not much to be gained, as shown by my datalogging. The lower temps at idle in traffic are likely due to the higher flow of the dual cooling fans, and not the radiator itself.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts