Modded Mustang Forums banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
So stock pushrods and rockers will be ok. That'll save me over $400 if I can get away with it. I don't plan on pushing this engine hard all the time but I do plan on getting on it every once in a while. Just don't want anything coming apart on me. With a pedestal rocker you just crank em' down to toqure specs, right? There's no way you have to set em' up special, just tighten em' all the way down? I remember my 289 in my '66 had the stud mounted rockers and I actually had to start the engine up and adjust each rocker until it stopped clackin' then cranked it an extra 3/4 turn to get it where it needed to be, what a PITA.
Dont bother with the roller rockers, They will give you little to no gains(if the stock ratio).

·
Premium Member
11,367 Posts
So rockers go on first then install the heads. I thought I'd have to install the heads first then drop the pushrods in and then put the rockers on and toqure em' to spec.
Heads go on, then pushrods, then rockers.

·
Registered
7,599 Posts
I was so vague on that last comment lol. My bad. It would be impossible to put the rockers on the heads first. heads on, pushrods, and rockers. Don't forget those lifter locks (idk the real name) They keep the roller side of the lifter in place. I have my heads on all the way to the valve cover and forgot em. Luckily the upper and lower intakes were off the motor.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I think they're called a pedestal or some such. Yep, I know what you're talking about but I"m not sure of the name either. They go between the head and rocker, right.

·
Registered
718 Posts
I think they're called a pedestal or some such. Yep, I know what you're talking about but I"m not sure of the name either. They go between the head and rocker, right.
hes talkin about the dogbones (thats what ive always heard em called )that go over the top of the lifters and are held down bye the metal girdle thingy

·
Registered
7,599 Posts
After you put the lifter in at the right angle, you put the locks in place, Next put the girdle on, then the pushrods in the lifters then the heads on, then the rockers.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Im planning on going to the junk yard to find some gt40pheads and intake. first of all what parts do i need for the swap? i know i need the heads, upper and lower intake, bolts, TB, EGR as well correct?, do I pick up gaskets for gt40p heads? what other little parts will i need to do to make the swap work? this is all im plannin on doing for now. I got a set of cheap summit long tubes that i have on now. will they work with the new heads? I plan on just doing the heads, intake. 3 cut angle on valves, i also want to port the heads, new cam.( what would be the best cam for this setup)? Should I get new springs and rockers? or any other little parts for the heads? I also want to shave the heads for more compression. how much can i shave them down on the stock motor? What size MAF will I need along with injectors? I know ill have to get the computer redone correct? and last how much can i advance the timing on this setup? Id appreciate the input. thanks alot! Does anybody have the heads, intake, and TB theyd like to sell BTW? I live in Florida so u can give me a rough cost for shipping. Its a 93 5.0 conv BTW.
I found gt40 heads on Craigs for $300. 3 angle valve job , new springs and rockers on my 351 / 408 stroker 750 Holley on an air gap, made 493 tq at 3500 and 393 h at 5500. Not bad for as cast production parts with a very mild cam. Hope that helps

21 - 32 of 32 Posts