Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok well i got everything set to adjust the timing and come to find out, that bracket over the harmonic balancer that tells you were TDC is is missing..well is there a place to buy a new one..or else i'll get if from somewhere..thanks

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
bump

·
Premium Member
11,367 Posts
Junk yard? Jegs sells a nice adjustable aluminum piece but you will need to line your timing marks back up on your crank and cam to set it at zero.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
junk yard has 4 foxbodys...3 4cylinders and a 5.0 with no motor...

can i line then up with the timing chain cover on? cuz i know the timing chain has marks, dunno how the cam and crank are marked..

timing - Latemodel Restoration Supply

tell me if you could find this bracket on here, i see a couple things that i think are it..but idk...thanks darrell

·
Premium Member
11,367 Posts
junk yard has 4 foxbodys...3 4cylinders and a 5.0 with no motor...

can i line then up with the timing chain cover on? cuz i know the timing chain has marks, dunno how the cam and crank are marked..

timing - Latemodel Restoration Supply

tell me if you could find this bracket on here, i see a couple things that i think are it..but idk...thanks darrell
You would have to pull the timing cover. The marks are on the cam gear and crank gear.

I didn't see a 5 liter timing pointer in that link. Just 4.6 stuff and Chevy stuff.

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
Just pull the number one spark plug, get a dial bore gauge put the end of the gauge in the plug hole and crank the motor over by hand to find top dead center, highest reading on the gauge. You can also do this by touch with a screwdriver, but you'll be off at least a few degrees.

The take a piece of sheet metal and fab up a pointer that points to wherever the mark is at on the balancer.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You would have to pull the timing cover. The marks are on the cam gear and crank gear.

I didn't see a 5 liter timing pointer in that link. Just 4.6 stuff and Chevy stuff.
ok i new the timing marks on the timing chain..didnt know if you were talking about another way i obviously didnt know..

79-93 INDICATOR, TIMING MUSTANG

is that it?

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just pull the number one spark plug, get a dial bore gauge put the end of the gauge in the plug hole and crank the motor over by hand to find top dead center, highest reading on the gauge. You can also do this by touch with a screwdriver, but you'll be off at least a few degrees.

The take a piece of sheet metal and fab up a pointer that points to wherever the mark is at on the balancer.
i cant fab something up like that dont have the tools or resource's..well i used the bore gauge to atleast get it running...the timing is just on enough that it starts up and will run, but is so far off it will not idle, and backfires through the exhuast and throught the cold air intake really bad!

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
Yeah and some of them have different dampeners with different pointers. For example I have an aftermarket fluidampr welded dampener and the pointer points to 30 degrees when the motor is at TDC.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
anyone wanna ship me theres and i'll ship it back to them when i set the timing? pwweeeeese?

·
Registered
5,029 Posts

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
5,029 Posts
is it the 2nd link i posted? im ordering parts now..i need to know....:yes
yes i believe it is,my czar dont have one either!:mad:btw whatcha ordering?

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yes i believe it is,my czar dont have one either!:mad:btw whatcha ordering?
yeah it is, i just ordered it..i haha finally ordered my A/C elminator bracket, fuel pressure guage and my steering wheel adapter, along with the timing indicator..yeah its bull mine doesnt have it...but for $10.95 wat ever:cool:

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
goddamn it parts wont be here til tuesday and i need the car running monday...ugh...stupid stang...

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
well apparently im not supposed to get this damn car on the road..weather is being a dickhead and 50resto hasnt gotten me my parts yet...monday/ tuesday supposidly...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts