Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone give me a step by step on adjusting my timing?

·
Registered
437 Posts
Hook up your timing light to your battery then the other box shaped clamp to your number one plug wire which is the one closest to the radiator on the passengers side, Then you pull out the snout connecter which is at the distributor and slightly loosen the distributor. You can make a mark on the harmonic balancer where you want to set your timing at this time. Then crank your car and aim the timing light towards the timing mark on the balancer and set it at the degree you want by rotating the distributor, I beleive if you rotate it towards the left it will advance it and to the right it will retard the timing. The tighten your distributor down and reinsert the snout plug.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Pull spout connector. hook up timing light to #1 cyl. start engine, loosen dist bolt. adjust to 10-16 deg. tighten dist. bolt. aim the light at the dampener, use the straight edge of the timing pointer. Correct timing readings should be taken at the 11oclock position on the dampener. Mabe clean and paint the timing marks with paint to help you see better. Don't forget to plug the spout back in.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When i put the spout connector back in after i set the timing the timing changes?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So should i leave the spout connector out?

·
Registered
437 Posts
Leave it out while you set the timing but put it back in when you get it set.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok so take spout connector out before i start the car set timing to desired spot then put spout connector back in. Ok i got that but after the spout in back in while the car is running if i turn on the timing light and check it again the mark is not lined up on the pointer. Is this normal? Sorry to be a pain but i just spent alot of money putting this build together and i dont wanna Fxxx anything up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts