Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone out there have step by step procedure in setting the timing in a 05 3V mustang. I have put in BBR stage II's and I have cam phaser troubles. Advised today from BBR that to solve the porblem install cam adjusters and do away with the VCT. Sounds like a good deal but the 15 hrs or so of labor to take turbo and front covers off is the only problem. I need a step by step to set the timing and pics if anyone has got. Thanks for the help. Carl

·
Premium Member
39,159 Posts
:welcome

The best thimg to do would be to get a dyno tune. The tuner can adjust the timing to fit the new cams.

·
Registered
660 Posts
He's refering to setting the Cam timing I'm assuming and as far as I know the only guy on here that might be able to help him out is forensic steve, I'm sure he as the VCT on his car locked out and possibly the mechanical know how to help this guy out. You can only slight adjust the VCT on a tuner with these cars and from the sound of this guy he's got his car set up pretty serious and needs some help us bolt on guys dont really know how to give. I would assume it would be the same as most by getting the engin to TDC and going from there....

·
Registered
35 Posts
I am running those same cams. It took my tuner along time to tune. I have the VCT on. Wish I was more knowledeble about it. I know the timming is way advanced. I forget how much. It probably took him about a week on a dyno to tune. Since mine is a daily driver, I wanted it perfect.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well one of the cam phasers is throwing a code and I found that it had slipped around somehow. I was told by BBR that the best way is to degree those cams into 109 with cam adjusters. They make the best HP at that advance. Just wondering if these three valves have the same timing procedure that the early model 4.6L SOHC like my 96.

:eek:

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
96 stang, if you are running the BBR Cams and turbo, I would recommend just locking out the VCT, with the big cams and boost they are seeing some problems with them.

As far as I know Forensicsteve hasn't locked out the VCT on his car, but may be having to do it once they get it on the dyno. I have read about 8 hours worth of tech and stories about camming a modular motor and stiff springs or increased lift will eventually give you problems on the 3v.

I was told by Livernois and BBR that I didn't have to lock out the VCT but with a stiff spring on the head, good to .600" lift and higher lift on the cam .492" I didn't feel comfortable about having oil pressure hold my cam in the correct position so the valves don't beat up the top of the piston

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Does anyone out there have step by step procedure in setting the timing in a 05 3V mustang.

I have also searched for this and came up empty. I would find out what degree the cams will have to be set at from BBR. Then go to yourself some cam degree wheels from Summit or Jegs. ----------They may have the adjustment on the BBR sprocket and you don't need the degree wheels. I don't know because I haven't actually seen what they look like because I am offshore still.

I have put in BBR stage II's and I have cam phaser troubles.

What heads and valve springs are you using?

Sounds like a good deal but the 15 hrs or so of labor to take turbo and front covers off is the only problem.

I was told this can be done like a cam swap. The front cover will not have to be removed. I am still looking where I found the write up on the cam swap with removing it, so when I find it I will post it
I need a step by step to set the timing and pics if anyone has got.
Get with Ford Dealership for the Workshop manual procedure.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am using stock heads, with the comp cams valve springs. I originally had comp cams stage 3 but was not satisfied with them so BBR talked me into their stage 2, which by far is the best sound out there. They advised me that the valve springs would work but they recommended the bee hive ones they have. The mods are 10lbs Grantelli Turbo, charge motion delete plates, BBR stage 2, and flowmasters, which made a OK 460rwhp.

Please chime in if anyone finds the procedure for timing. Thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts