Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can anyone find me a tutorial on how to advance timing without using that light thingy? i just want to advance 1 or 2 degrees.

for example what do i disconnect, its a manual car, what do i have to loosen, what do i tighten, what do i turn...

if its not as simple as that.. tell me, i know back in the day they had to time cars without sophisticated lights =)

·
Premium Member
33,198 Posts
i'd take pics of what you're supposed to turn, but it's dark out

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
bump

·
Registered
90 Posts
you could loosen the dizy theres a bolt on the bottom of the shaft, and turn it but without a light you could really jump or retard the timing depend which way you turn it and hurt the car lol buy a light there cheap or borrow some ones its safer that way

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
Good luck setting timing without a light. You can set it + or - 10 degrees and that is about it.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
buy a light - they aren't that expensive. don't shoot in the dark.
+ 1 i bought one from adance auto with the knob and it was cheap, i mark 0 on the balancer with white paint so i can see it, pull the spout connector ( its like a little plug that's near the distributor ) set the knob on whatever you want your timing to be at 13 degrees for example, loosen the dist. hold down clamp ( just enough to be able to turn the dist by hand, don't loosen it all the way ) with the car running move the dist until the mark on the balancer ( that you painted white ) lines up with the metal pointer and tighten up the dist, double check it and then plug the spout connector back in and you're done

1 - 8 of 8 Posts