Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I need to figure out how to set timing in my 4.6l sohc on new aftermarket cam gears. the paint marks on the chain mean nothing because the paint marks were on the old gears and so I have zero reference points. The cam gears are the OBX adjustable gears. any thoughts I'd really appreciate the help.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ive actually read this about a million times already and it actually says nothing about timing a motor with adjustable cam gears.

"Move your spacer, cam gear and washer over to your new cam and then get your new bolt on there fairly snug, youll torque the bolt later. Lube the cam towers which are the things the cam lays in on the heads with some oil, next lube the whole cam up real well with some oil and lay it in the head, now lube your griddles/caps and put them back on torquing in sequence/spec. After that is done turn the cam by hand, there will probably be a bit of resistance but it should turn pretty freely and not lock up or anything. Do this for both sides. Now holding the cams in place using a wrench on the spots made for this/machined on the cam torque the gear bolts to spec."

is what it says, so its assuming your using cam gears you already had with the paint marks on them. But I'm not so what do I use as reference points to time the motor?

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
Set your cam gears at zero and check your ICL on both sides. Record the results and adjust the cam sprockets as necessary. After making the adjustments, tighten everything back down and check you ICL on both banks again. Keep adjusting and checking until you get your ICL where you want it or whatever it calls for on your cam card. Once you get them where you want them, make sure everything is torqued down correctly and then check the ICL readings 2-3 more times after rotating the engine over by hand several times between each check.

I'd check the piston to valve clearance while you have it all apart. Mhs has a pretty good write up on their site that shows how to check ptv clearance.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Set your cam gears at zero and check your ICL on both sides. Record the results and adjust the cam sprockets as necessary. After making the adjustments, tighten everything back down and check you ICL on both banks again. Keep adjusting and checking until you get your ICL where you want it or whatever it calls for on your cam card. Once you get them where you want them, make sure everything is torqued down correctly and then check the ICL readings 2-3 more times after rotating the engine over by hand several times between each check.

I'd check the piston to valve clearance while you have it all apart. Mhs has a pretty good write up on their site that shows how to check ptv clearance.
Isnt this part of the degreeing? I mean like I have the cams in, and the chains are not on the cam gears yet. I have the motor at TDC in 1 and how do I know what rotation the cams should be at to line up. like if it were the factory cams going back in I would just line up the paint marks on the chain with those on the factory cam gears. But now I have number 1 at TDC and I dont know where to rotate the cams to. There are no reference points for example no recessed notch or anything to line up with a mark on the head or something, does that make sense?

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
SO after looking do I line up "0" on the adjustable degree numbered section with the center of the copper link? is this the reference? I haven't noticed these copper links before so double checking they would be present on my timing chains right? (by the way the motor is out of a 1999 gt)

·
Registered
678 Posts
Can you post a picture? I know my Cloyes gears had a refernece mark but I haven't seen OBX gears. Where did you get them?

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okay so i went out again today and was looking it over. and this is my question:
what do I do if my timing chains dont have a copper or "dark" link or any sort of mark to line up with the notches on the cam gears and crank sproket?

Ive had both chains and both sides have zero indicators to line up.

does anyone know if I make a mark to line up with the cam gear indicator can i count off a number of links and make an indicator for the crank sproket?

if so does anyone know how many links?

I have pictures ill load after class but really all they are going to show is indicators on the gear and then crank sproket and then none on the chain.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
pics:

no replies yet? you mean to tell me not one person on this site flowing of modular knowledge knows how to time a 99 4.6 sohc when the timing chain has no indicators on it or can tell me how many links apart the marks would be if they were present? is my problem not clear enough? i can try and explain it again if so just tell me.

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
Fold your chains in half and mark the links on the end. The marked links should be exactly the same number of links out from each other. I don't remember the exact number, but you can't screw it up if you simply fold them in half and mark the end links. Then put the chains on lining up the one of the marked links with the timing mark on the crank sprocket and the opposite end marked link with the timing mark on the cam sprocket.

Adjust the centerlines from there by checking and adjusting your cam gears.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Fold your chains in half and mark the links on the end. The marked links should be exactly the same number of links out from each other. I don't remember the exact number, but you can't screw it up if you simply fold them in half and mark the end links. Then put the chains on lining up the one of the marked links with the timing mark on the crank sprocket and the opposite end marked link with the timing mark on the cam sprocket.

Adjust the centerlines from there by checking and adjusting your cam gears.
AWESOME!!!! thank you lol this is exactly what I was waiting for. so basically as long as the links i use are exactly on opposite ends? total links divided by 2 = distance apart? just want to make sure.

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
AWESOME!!!! thank you lol this is exactly what I was waiting for. so basically as long as the links i use are exactly on opposite ends? total links divided by 2 = distance apart? just want to make sure.

Exactly. 58 links minus the two marked leaves 56 links. Divide that by two gives 28 links between each marked link. It doesn't matter which links you use as reference as long as they are exactly opposite each other.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Exactly. 58 links minus the two marked leaves 56 links. Divide that by two gives 28 links between each marked link. It doesn't matter which links you use as reference as long as they are exactly opposite each other.

thanks a ton man! hopefully ill get this thing buttoned up tomorrow before class.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts