Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does the modular motor need to be timed with piston one at TDC? Every ford timing article says to do so. But you forum people just put the chains on a 9 o clock. Im so confused as to what to do. Do i put the keyway at 9 install the chains then put it at TDC. Or do i just leave it at 9?

·
King Trashmouth
21,891 Posts
Does the modular motor need to be timed with piston one at TDC? Every ford timing article says to do so. But you forum people just put the chains on a 9 o clock. Im so confused as to what to do. Do i put the keyway at 9 install the chains then put it at TDC. Or do i just leave it at 9?
If you're using the dot to dot method you don't need to put it at TDC.

You line up everything as follows:

If you're going to degree it, you will need to find TDC on cylinder #1 to index your degree wheel.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
**edit** wicked beat me to it!!

The key way should be around the 10 o'clock position and the dot on the crank gear should be at 6 o'clock. It's should essentially set up like 10:30 with the key way at 10 and the dot at 6. The reason you move the key way to 9:00 is to give the valves room when the springs are compressed to remove the rockers. The pass side cam mark should be at 11:00 and the driver should be at 12:00.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
**edit** wicked beat me to it!!

The key way should be around the 10 o'clock position and the dot on the crank gear should be at 6 o'clock. It's should essentially set up like 10:30 with the key way at 10 and the dot at 6. The reason you move the key way to 9:00 is to give the valves room when the springs are compressed to remove the rockers. The pass side cam mark should be at 11:00 and the driver should be at 12:00.
So i don't put it at 9? Im confused lol. What i did was a put it at 9 o clock then installed the drivers side chain by rotating the cam so it lined up with the marked links (the timing mark on the crank was where it should be when the keyway is a 9). Then i did the same for the other side. When i spun it by hand it was perfectly fine, felt exactly the same as it was when i was taking it apart.
However there was another issue which caused my motor to eat itself, but i was just wondering if i timed it right the first time.

Should i align the keyway to the TDC mark on the block and then align the chains next time?

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So basically as long as the dots are lined up the motor is timed, doesn't matter where anything really is along as the dots line up right?

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The dots and links will line up when #1 is at TDC. I kind of think you were of a few teeth off and may have planted some valves into pistons.

The picture wicked posted is exactly how it should look when set up correctly.
Actually my crank sensor went on backwards and shredded the timing chain in half lmao..

So i put the crank timing mark at 6 then and align accordingly, why does everywhere i read say put it at 9 and align....

So basically based of what wicked posted, i put it at 9 and move the cam gears so they are "roughly in position" then i spin the crank keyway to align with the arrow that says TDC on the block (puts the timing mark at 6). Then i install the chains?

·
Premium Member
3,393 Posts
With the crank keyway facing 9 all the pistons will be below deck. You can then put the chains on dot to dot starting on the passenger side first.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
With the crank keyway facing 9 all the pistons will be below deck. You can then put the chains on dot to dot starting on the passenger side first.
The only reason you want the pistons below deck is to aid in spring compression to install the rockers after the cams have been installed. I put my chains on with #1 TDC ,or the key way at 10 o'clock, and my engine fired right up.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I put my crankshaft key at exactly 9 o clock. PM not AM (jk). but really, i did 9 o clock crank key, i turned the camshaft until the chains matched together. Dont turn the crankshaft at all, leave it at 9o clock. Turn the camshafts only. Mark on link on the chain, stick it on the crank gear spot, mark the other side of the chain, stick it on the camshaft spot. Do the same with the other camshaft, WITHOUT TURNING THE CRANK. Thats how you get 180 out and possibly fack stuff up.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I put my crankshaft key at exactly 9 o clock. PM not AM (jk). but really, i did 9 o clock crank key, i turned the camshaft until the chains matched together. Dont turn the crankshaft at all, leave it at 9o clock. Turn the camshafts only. Mark on link on the chain, stick it on the crank gear spot, mark the other side of the chain, stick it on the camshaft spot. Do the same with the other camshaft, WITHOUT TURNING THE CRANK. Thats how you get 180 out and possibly fack stuff up.
This is how i did it the first time i didn't touch the crank i left it at 9 lol and i didn't have any clearence issues. I think im going to try the TDC method.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Sorry, I guess I didn't understand at first, yes this will work as long as you move JUST the cams. I never even bothered to look up "ways to install cams". I just used the Ford service manual which have you installed the cams exactly like pictured above.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Go here and do what the article says: Cam Installation
This is exactly how i did and no where in that article does it say anything about 6 o clock timing, but for some reason in one of the pictures it shows the crank at that position lol. I did it without putting it at 6 and it spun around perfectly. Im just trying to figure out if that was right or not. Its basically the same position but the dots aren't lining up when the crank is at TDC, the dots are lined up based off the crank keyway at 9 o clock not at 6. But isn't that the same thing?

·
Premium Member
3,393 Posts
Keeping the piston below deck allows you to already have the follows installed without worry of ptv. You just make sure the cams are positioned closely in the right position.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts