Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i need to set my timing and i got a timing gun yesterday, and i dont know if im using it right cause the gun isnot working. and i cant find the reciept to take it back. i followed the instructions but i dont know if it is just me or if the thing is broke. i hooked the red cable to the battery and the black ground on the engine, then i put the other thing over the #1 spark wire and it isnt lighting up. i even changed wires to the stock one to see if it would work and it didnt.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
stick a circuit tester and stick it in the timing lite cables to see if its getting power. you are doing it probably is the timing light if you don't have the recipt go to the store you bought it from and ask for help bring you car and the timing light and show them the problem

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i didnt understand that last part. i plug the positive wire with the spark plug? and ground the black wire and hook up the sparkplug wire from the gun to the spark plug wire? i think i just confused myself more writing that.:eek:

·
Registered
489 Posts
Sounds like your timming light is screwed. There's allot of different types out there. Does this one have a nob/ dial on the back side with numbers on it? Sould be turning on no matter what.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
its an inductive pickup. well i found out the light works. i hooked it up to my other car today and it was working, so im gona try the wire off of that car on the mustang and see if it will work.

·
902 Posts
Finally i got it to work i had to use the plug wire off my cadillac for it to work for some reason it wouldnt work with any of the plug wires i have for the car.
what kind of wires do you have? never hurd of that

1 - 14 of 14 Posts