Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a picture for it but that doesn't tell me much. Does anyone have a write up for installing the Timming chains while the motor is on a stand and is there anyway of checking I did it right once the job is done?
Thanks

·
King Trashmouth
21,891 Posts
I have a picture for it but that doesn't tell me much. Does anyone have a write up for installing the Timming chains while the motor is on a stand and is there anyway of checking I did it right once the job is done?
Thanks

That is how you want to align everything for just doing the dot to dot method.

As far as the copper links, if you can't see the color or if you didn't mark them before taking them off, lay the chains out in a flat line. Mark the ones that are on the ends. Those will be your copper links.

And I cannot stress this enough:
Put the timing chains on at the same time. DO NOT rotate the crank once the one chain is on. You can safely rotate it once both are on it.
If you do rotate the engine after only one chain is installed, your passenger bank could be out of phase by 180deg, which will result in the engine only running on 4 cylinders.

Rotating the engine to check for PTV should be about the only check you need. If you're really adamant, you can degree them to check. Not sure if you want to go through that trouble though.

·
Registered
309 Posts
^good info here.
And to add, to check if its right when you have both chains on, turn the motor over twice and make sure everything is still lined up properly.

·
Head Unicorn
5,085 Posts

That is how you want to align everything for just doing the dot to dot method.

As far as the copper links, if you can't see the color or if you didn't mark them before taking them off, lay the chains out in a flat line. Mark the ones that are on the ends. Those will be your copper links.

And I cannot stress this enough:
Put the timing chains on at the same time. DO NOT rotate the crank once the one chain is on. You can safely rotate it once both are on it.
If you do rotate the engine after only one chain is installed, your passenger bank could be out of phase by 180deg, which will result in the engine only running on 4 cylinders.

Rotating the engine to check for PTV should be about the only check you need. If you're really adamant, you can degree them to check. Not sure if you want to go through that trouble though.
This^^^^^^^^^.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts