Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Love my S197
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tinted my taillights today. Worked out even better than any vinyl I have seen. Sprayed it with VHT Nightshades, 2 light coats of clear then wet sanded, polished and waxed with my DA Buffer. They are just as glossy as they where when they were stock. Especially when I did my turn signals, 1/4 markers, 3rd brake light and tail lights with 20 bucks worth of product in total. Way more money for other mods :naughty:. Tell me what you guys think!

Pics:

·
Love my S197
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the complements guys! S197 third brake light vinyl is on the way and all my lighting is done! Gear, intake and tuner through out this and next month!

·
Registered
273 Posts
How did you sand/polish the groove around the lights?

·
Mechanical Engineer
410 Posts
I like that you masked off the backup light. That's what I was planning on doing. So, with two coats... are your lights still visible at 500 feet? that's what most states require and I've been debating on the best way of figuring out how dark i could tint and still achieve that.

butters, you can get VHT on amazon for like 12 or 14 shipped.

I recently did my front turn signals, fog lights and rear brake light. I recommend everyone start that way because small lights will still look good even with a few mistakes. I just moved so haven't got around to tinting my rear lights yet but I think I have the method down after the small lights.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
The op's looks good. I'm thinking about polishing mine up. The matte look kind of goes with my matte black back panel.

I got my vht at auto zone or one of the car part stores

·
Love my S197
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
How did you sand/polish the groove around the lights?

I actually didn't really do much to the groove. I just lightly sanded it in the beginning prep work so paint would stick. After i just made sure I got some wax in between when I waxed the lights as the last step.

where did you get the spray? i looked around today but failed
I picked it up at advanced along with 2000 grit sand paper, a can of clear coat (Get the highest quality one you can find. Trust me.), A thing of Meguiars Ultimate Compound, and then I already had a container of Turtle Wax Ice Synthetic Wax for the last coat on the lights. If you guys have any other questions feel free to ask and again thanks for all the compliments guys.

I used this thread as a reference when I first did any tinting with VHT. If you do mess up the material can be removed with a gasoline soaked rag and a little elbow grease.

Remember with anything paint related over half the battle is the prep work.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I actually didn't really do much to the groove. I just lightly sanded it in the beginning prep work so paint would stick. After i just made sure I got some wax in between when I waxed the lights as the last step.

I picked it up at advanced along with 2000 grit sand paper, a can of clear coat (Get the highest quality one you can find. Trust me.), A thing of Meguiars Ultimate Compound, and then I already had a container of Turtle Wax Ice Synthetic Wax for the last coat on the lights. If you guys have any other questions feel free to ask and again thanks for all the compliments guys.

I used this thread as a reference when I first did any tinting with VHT. If you do mess up the material can be removed with a gasoline soaked rag and a little elbow grease.

Remember with anything paint related over half the battle is the prep work.
Hello, I was wondering if you could post your steps? From start to finish. I've got the VHT but need to get sand paper, compound, and a good clear coat. Did u sand before u started the clear also. And did u just use water after the first scuffing of the tail light to clean with? Thanks

·
Registered
94 Posts
Scooter I'm in tn as well I can help u if you need it my tail light and head lights are all blacked out
I'm not far from you either. I'm in oak ridge
Hey I really appreciate that! This forum is a great tool! I work nights so I'm taking the tail lights out this morning before I go to bed. Hopefully ill get started on em this weekend! I also think that piece between the tail lights would be easy to flat black yourself. Might give that a try.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.