Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so with this new turbo setup, under hood temps are up there!
i open hood at tuner shop yesterday (10 min drive,no boost,nice and cool out) and u can heat a house with the radiating heat coming from under hood...

the coolant temps are fine, 170 to 190 shes running nice and cool, im not worried about that, i just want more fresh air circulating under the hood, what shall i do?

my setup:
Jegs aluminum Radiator
180 Degree Theromostat
Black Magic Electric Fan
Ceramic coated all hot side piping
PTP turbo blanket

So im going to swap to a cobra grill (hollowed out) get a little more air into radiator and engine bay, im thinking of some kind of hood vents to let hot air escape, and im thinking of cutting out cowl so more air gets pushed in from windshield ...Any other tricks?

O! and i also want to make a heat shield for the alternator

·
Come at me bro
3,135 Posts
your ideas are good to let air in/out of the engine bay.

also something that can save you 10-20* is to make your coolant 70% water 30% coolant, and then ad a bottle of "water wetter" I did it and saw a nice drop in temp's.

I like these better then cobra grilles, and it will let a lot of air in. I might be getting one myself
1987-93 Mustang Lx Grille Bar Eliminator by Classic Design Concepts at LRS - Same Day Shipping!

if you don't have the radiator air splitter, thing, get one and install it properly.
1987-93 Mustang Radiator Air Deflector by Ford at LRS - Same Day Shipping!

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
Short of making a louvered hood (which could look good in my opinion) or taking out your fender wells to lower the ambient temperature a little, there is little you can do because the radiant sources are still there. What seems "hot" to you and your digits won't hurt anything in the engine compartment unless you are always idling and soaking for extended periods. Be careful in what and how you shield stuff, you can do more harm than good by blocking air flow.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
pos LMAO

i drained **** oil, new oil, new k&n oil filter,

royal purple is going in after tune with another new k&n oil filter

its at the shop as of last night, we pulled upper intake off, pulled passenger side valve cover, adjusted all the rockers, 2nd to last one was rdy to come off :(
pulled the spark plugs, not as white as i thought they would be
put in properly gapped NGK UR6 773 spark plugs (tuned told me the autolites are lazy, get rid of them) rogor that, also told me FRPP plug wires are junk :( just bought em days ago...(keeping them for now)

put new 90 degree elbow fittings on the breather can, connected the hoses from the valve covers

got my magnaflow muffler in,

today she will be on the dyno after he adjusts the driver side rockers

honestly at this point im happy with 385 RWHP i really dont want to blow/break anything i just want to drive her before i leave the country again, 9 months has taken its toll, im going through withdraws!

·
Registered
155 Posts
I use a turbo heat blanket & wrapped my headers with a heat wrap. The turbo blanket I use is similar to these in this link. PTP Turbo Blankets - (512) 490-6494 I remember reading a while back that they claim up to a 90% decrease in heat coming from the hot side of the turbo with the blanket. My underhood temp never seemed to be an issue with these. I've had a few times that I had an issue with the radiator cap & my water temp got up around 210 or so but even then the underhood temp seemed not much if any higher than a stock mustang.

·
Registered
7,599 Posts
After rocking heat wrap I'm not a fan of it. I'm glad my turbo kit has so little miles because I could see what it was going to do had it been driven hard. Under hood temps drop a rediculous amount however.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts