Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know from reading on just about any Mustang Forum that the stock Pirelli's on our '06 GT are not very popular. What I can't seem to find anywhere is a place that sells them as well as some of the tires that you all recommend to see them rated compared to each other. I'm getting ready to get some bigger rims 18 x 10 for the rear and keeping the stock 17 x 8 for the front. I have a couple of things to decide...
1) Will that be an OK set up, even if only temporary. My thought is that if there is no good reason to not do this, that I can continue running the Pirelli's in front until they NEED replacing and then decide on new fronts and possibly different rims at that time.
2) I want more grip out of the rears, BUT am hardly going to be at the track every weekend. I don't need the best of the best, but want something better than the stockers. Currently trying to decide between the Nitto NT555 275/40/18 and the Sumitomo HTRZII in the same size. The price difference is about $64/tire on AM. Both rate fairly well on AM site, with the Nitto's having the edge in every category. Expected as they cost more, but are the differences worth almost 50% more for an occasional pass at the track, and just wanting more traction for screwing around in town and back and forth to work.
3) This is why I want to see if anyone here knows a site that rates them all to compare them based on one place where they have all been rated by the same standards.

I apologize in advance for another tire/rim thread, but I didn't find anything took all of these into consideration, most importantly if I'll be OK leaving the front rims/tires stock until they are worn with larger in the back.

Living in the midwest I plan to just buy some snow tires for the occasions when the little gem needs to drive in the snow. I can say that the Pirelli's sucked ass this last winter.

Any help would be hugely appreciated!

RAWR

·
Registered
27 Posts
you would be fine running the staggere fitment with 17's in front and 18's in the rear to get that little extra life out of your front tires check out discount tire www.tires.com i like the nitto invo as well as the bfgoodrich kdw nt's neither would be a good winter tire but you could save the stock wheels for use in the bad weather conditions
then you can have a little time to decide what you really want to go with and a better idea on what tires them being a tire guy those are the tires i prefer for traction

·
Yut Yut Devil Dog
4,591 Posts
As long as you get the same style...EXACT same rim, probably in a deep dish, you'll be fine. With an 18X10 rim, you could run 305 tire. Probably a 305/40 or 305/35. I'd really recommend Nitto. I had Sumitomo on my old Mustang, I liked them but, since then I tried 555 Nitto's. They grip like a MOFO! Well, I have 555R...

·
Resident Utahrd
1,411 Posts
Where's Jucostud? You should talk to him. He is the Lord of Tires. :D But like king said, you can go wider out back.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It'll definitely be the exact same style rim. We love the Bullitt, just gonna get a bigger one.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts