Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys so a few questions here. Background story, I nailed a pothole and my front left tire blew, but I should be able to have NJ pay for it because of the fact that it happened on a state road. Anyway, I have 255/35/18's on the front of my FR500's and the ride sucks. My old bullitt's had 245/45/17's and the ride is like air compared to these. I'm thinking I want to get 265/40/18's to replace these on the front to kind of tuck the rim back a hair and improve ride quality a bit. Anyone try this combo and have issues? Any recommended tires? I know that's an off size. I'll be sticking to 295 or fatter out back so that's just a matter of when I decide to upgrade and what I choose... Also, kinda a shady question, but anyone have any experience filing these claims and ways to say you're getting one thing but get another or something like that lol it would be nice to pick up 2 new tires for this....

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
You are increasing your sidewall from 89mm to 106mm. Our stock tire has a 110mm sidewall. It ought to be about the same.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Alright good, I figured there wouldn't be a fitment issue, just wanted to get an opinion on how it would look on the rim. I feel like the rim pokes too much now with the 255, so I felt like 265 would be just right, and the added sidewall would help ride quality. Now all that's left is tire choice and advice on my claim so I can maximize the benefits.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For reference, here's a bad pic of the car with the rims on

And here is when the damage was done

·
Abyssinian of AX
7,994 Posts
More than just the sidewall comes into play here :yes

What tires were on your old Bullitts (make/model)?
What size of wheels do you run currently (include width)?
What kind of driving will you be doing on these new tires?

Jazzer :)

PS. Don't bother trying to file a claim. You won't get anywhere, as the states have no money and cannot prove negligence on their part :(

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Eh, it's worth a shot at least lol. Anyway, I had stock bullitts (17x8 I believe?)..They had 245/45/17 Fuzion HRi's on the front, and P275/40ZR17 Dayton Daytona ZR's on the back. The new rims are staggered 18x9,18x10 Black Chrome FR500's from AM bought on craigslist with beat to hell tires on them. The fronts are 255/35ZR18 Dunlop SP Sport's, and the backs are 295/35ZR18 Toyo Proxes T1R's. I was thinking something similar or of greater sidewall for the rears as well. It see's beautiful days and wants to visit the strip every once in a while to settle arguments, also wants to attempt corner carving for Shits and Gigs. It's not a DD anymore, but I still value comfort somewhat. Thanks for the help in advance, Jazzer.
EDIT: I know these rims/tires aren't exactly top picks for the track lol so no need to explain that they're not.

·
Registered
205 Posts
You want a 265/35-18 or 275/35-18 for a 9" wheel. A 255/35-18 was just a terrible decision in the first place. Too short of a tire. Surprised your abs light didn't come on. In all honesty, 18" wheels, with correctly sized tires to maintain the stock tire height, will alway ride rougher than 17" wheels.

And we need info on your driving habits to suggest a tire for you.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
And we need info on your driving habits to suggest a tire for you.
lol my description wasn't good? :sorry ..I like to have a lot of fun with the car when I take it out. I'd like the rear tires to grab like crazy, I try not to do a lot of burnouts, and the fronts need to handle quick turns without hopping and brake well with my bullitt upgrade...is that better or still not lol

·
Abyssinian of AX
7,994 Posts
02'... you aren't gonna find a tire that suits the needs in which you describe :( at least not very well :no

The TR1's are a pretty high-performance tire and gonna have a stiffer sidewall for a nice turn-in response. Reguardless of the profile height, you are gonna have a pretty solid ride on them. They are not gonna be your best bet for off-the line "grudge match" settling and as teeJ mentioned, not optimal for ride comfort being on an 18" wheel.

A 275 is too large for anything less than a 9" wheel, so you had some "give" on sidewalls of previous wheels to help with the ride quality a bit, as well as being a 40 series tire.

I recommend you decide what you want more... good quality ride OR a nice cornering ride OR a good launch. You cannot have all three done very well with any one tire.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well it seems like I'm just beat out of ride quality for having 18's lol so i'll cross that off the list. I think I'd prefer a drag style tire if I'd have to choose between drag and curves just because I'd only be doing a road track run once, if that. The TR1's look like awesome tires, I wish the previous owner of these rims didn't have his fun with them before I got to...

·
Registered
760 Posts
I have 265/35/18's on the front of mines also living in "Pothole City" errr... NJ and my tires are fine and ride well.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
NJ's potholes, especially after this winter, make me wanna move. Ridiculous how they don't fix them. Idk about your area, but my area uses the "pour small rocks and asphalt into holes and pack it, then leave so cars can drive over them and kick the rocks on their paint and scatter them across the road" method. None the less, If ride quality isn't going to improve when switching from 35 to 40 on my 18's then 265/35/18's it is. Now just gotta confirm what I'm going with then attempting to take what I can from NJ

·
Abyssinian of AX
7,994 Posts
Be careful if you are looking to run a 40 series tire on an 18" wheel. Pay attention to the diameter of the tires on the specs page. The OEM tire diameter of your car is 25.6", reguardless of wheel diameter, so keep the fronts/rears less than 1" differental and try to avoid going over 27" if possible.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I am unsure about NJ (I lived in West Orange years ago), but if it is anything like Buffalo, NY....This is what I would do (considering all of the effort and time...That the State of New Jersey...Or probably the Township you live in WILL put you through to get paid....(Sadly, it may take awhile). Get the car on the lift just to take a peek and make sure the Steering/Suspension are good...Then, If the body has damage, then you need an estimate...(On the claim form you maybe limited to the shops that participate w/ the State or Township)....Just go over the car in detail, because you will get one shot at this....Good Luck, I work in collision, and the shop I work for participates in the program w/ the City of Buffalo...They make you wait until they pay..."Squeaky Wheel...gets listened to"...Hope this helps.

·
Registered
147 Posts
"I have used Discount Tire Direct 4 times !"...Never a problem w/Price, Inventory, and best of great replacement warranty, if you buy the warranty....They cream Tire Rack everytime I needed Nitto's (4 sets since 2001).

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just an update, i plan on buying 295/35ZR18 Nitto NT05's out back, and 265/35ZR-18 Nitto NT 555 Extreme Performance's in front tomorrow from discount tire direct for a total of about $830. Any objections?

·
Abyssinian of AX
7,994 Posts
I would like to see you stick a little closer to matching diameters :yes

You are at .8" differential and will very likely get some ABS sensor issues barking at you from time to time. I would to see you either go up to a 40 series in front or down to a 30 series out back. Being in NJ and wanting a bit of "pot-hole" insurance, I think the former would be the way to go.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well I was considering doing a 40 in front, but would that look weird if I kept a 35 out back? or would it be such a small difference that I wouldn't notice it unless I knew?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts