Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright im getting new chrome fr500 18x9 18x10. I'm going to lowering it with the h&r lowering springs this spring and wondering with tire sizes. I'm thinking 305/35/18 or 295/35/18 in the back and wondering if they will clear with out rubbing also for the front should i run 245/40/18 or run 265/35/18 in front. Would it look different with the wall sizes.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
They will fit as far as I know yes, I know people on here run that and bigger. The H&R's lowering springs does vary with each car but rarely ever goes past 2.3 inches.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Personally I run Saleens

285/35/18 back Overall Diameter: 25.85 in 656.59 mm

265/35/18 front Overall Diameter: 25.30 in 642.62 mm

See how many diameter is pretty close?

I think 285 is plenty wide. I am not a fan of 305 at all (too big looking imo) However, if you are going to get a 305 in the back, a 40 up front would make sense because the 305 is obv going to add diameter in general and the 35 front would make it too small in comparison

Check this out:
http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCalculator.asp?action=submit

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
does it look different with the wall of the tire like looks funny with the rims?

·
Abyssinian of AX
7,994 Posts
Alright im getting new chrome fr500 18x9 18x10. I'm going to lowering it with the h&r lowering springs this spring and wondering with tire sizes. I'm thinking 305/35/18 or 295/35/18 in the back and wondering if they will clear with out rubbing also for the front should i run 245/40/18 or run 265/35/18 in front. Would it look different with the wall sizes.
Due to ABS sensor issues, it is best to stay within 1" differential between front/rear tire diameters. Can still trigger the ABS with a bit less differential, but 1" is considered "OK". Going with 40 series up front and 35 series out back, you are gonna limit your clearance a bit and increase the likelyhood of rubbing.

Is there a particular reason you want to increase the tire diameter beyond OEM of 25.6"?

Jazzer :)

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Dear Jazzer,

Your intelligence makes me feel like a 1st grader.

That is all.

·
Abyssinian of AX
7,994 Posts

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
no there is really no reason for getting bigger ones just only want to do it once and not later down the road. So 275/35/18 in front and 305/35/18 in back?

·
Premium Member
665 Posts
I am in the exact same place, except I want some nitto's, and I have heard that they run smaller. I actually wanted to go up a bit in total tire dia because, I scrape on everything, and I wanted to push my 390s down more to a 373 range.... I cant go thru carwashes with bars, I scrape by like 1/4 inch, thats why I want like .5 inch up in tire size

·
Abyssinian of AX
7,994 Posts
no there is really no reason for getting bigger ones just only want to do it once and not later down the road. So 275/35/18 in front and 305/35/18 in back?
Why is this something you would consider doing down the road? Again, OEM tire diameter is ideal and the only reason I can see that one would "need" larger tires, would be out back for all the sidewall available for a good launch.

I am in the exact same place, except I want some nitto's, and I have heard that they run smaller. I actually wanted to go up a bit in total tire dia because, I scrape on everything, and I wanted to push my 390s down more to a 373 range.... I cant go thru carwashes with bars, I scrape by like 1/4 inch, thats why I want like .5 inch up in tire size
I think it is a bad idea to install larger diameter tires in order to gain clearance or get less fender gap around tire. If your car hits stuff, raise it back up to where it works for you. Larger tires will raise the car up a bit, but reduce clearance in fenders and likely lead to rubbing. I don't see a 1/2" diameter tire will bring you from 3:90's to 3:73's, but will indeed go that direction in gearing change.

The Nitto's are considered a "small" tire in terms of their appearance. They do look a bit small, but only in width. It will not make a 275 fit properly on an 8" wheel, but will not look quite as hideous :puke

Jazzer on matters of size :shiftyeyes

1 - 14 of 14 Posts