Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i need big tires on the rears for obvious traction reasons which im lacking with 235s on my bullitts. i want to go just about the biggest possible without obviously running into any problems. The dilemma i have is my stang is lowered quite a bit,. at least 2 inches. i would like all of your thoughts about tire width, and or tire and rim width i can do in the back.

·
Registered
48 Posts
My 92GT is lowered about 2 inches and I run a 245/45/17 on the front and a 275/40/17 on the rear no scrubbing issues and the wheels are the 17x8 tribars

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
My 92GT is lowered about 2 inches and I run a 245/45/17 on the front and a 275/40/17 on the rear no scrubbing issues and the wheels are the 17x8 tribars
The thread on a 275 is almost 11 inches, it will mount and fit on an 8 rim but it is far from ideal for stability and traction.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Yeah traction is not ideal I need more. As far as stability never had any issues and i drive up a curvey ass mt. every day, and i have fun doing it.
Yes it may not be ideal but they fit just fine and the guy is wanting to know what fits in the rear for more traction and the TREAD is about 10 inches.

·
Registered
48 Posts
OH I agree and later on when I decide on a set of wheels I will have 17 or 18 x8 frt and 17 or 18x 9 or 10 on the rear wit a 315 and it wil look sick as hell.
might even have the tribars widened for the rear to a 9.5 or 10

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
275 mm is 10.8 in although each tire is slightly different.

You could always put a 315 on an 8 inch wheel, it fits :eek:
That's not my car. I have 315's but they are on 10.5 rims.

On the flip side, I recently saw a dude driving a four eye down the highway with what looked like some sort of 215/90 truck tire on 10 holes. The back of the car was lifted up about 4 inches. What made it even stranger was the exhaust curved and exited out the side behind the tires.

A side note about "wider tires for better traction". In theory yes but the specific tire and your suspension make a much larger difference in traction and handling then just the size. What a lot of people compare is some old ass smaller tire they had that was down to the wear bars with 30K miles on it and then they replace with them with a new wider tire, sure it has more traction, it is new and not old and worn. Just a piece of personal experience that may or may not be typical. I had some General 245's on my 02 GT stock rims that were about 6 months old, replaced them with some Sumito 315's on 10.5's, my average 60ft times didn't change at all.

·
Registered
325 Posts
315's look nice, unless you're on a 8in rim lol, but they're a bitch to fit on a fox. You shouldn't need anything bigger than a 275/50 tire for the street. It also depends on the tire compound when it comes to traction. A street tire is meant to last long where a drag radial is great for traction but won't last nearly as long. I personally have 245/35/17 all around on 8in rims.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts