Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
high quotes for clutch installs... the cheapest quote I have got for the install and flywheel resurfacing is 350... next is 360, then 425, and so on...I think its because they think Im a kid that dont know anything bout it...... my dads going to the same places tomorrow to see what they quote him for it... MikeStangLife, I still havent got ahold of your two recmnds tho

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
do it yourself FTW

pain in the ass, but such an awesome learning experience

hidden fees may occur such as renting a torque wrench and resurfacing the flywheel.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
The hardest part of this is convincing yourself that you can do it. Give it a shot, you'll be suprised by what you can do. And if you screw up, you learned something, but then you have to pull it back apart.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would do it if my dad would let me... he prolly wouldnt tho... Besides the resurfacing flywheel part, how hard is it??? I have no clue as of what to do,.. but honestly id liek to try

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
I would do it if my dad would let me... he prolly wouldnt tho... Besides the resurfacing flywheel part, how hard is it??? I have no clue as of what to do,.. but honestly id liek to try

You have to take it to a machine shop or an auto shop for that. It shouldnt take them long at all and it shouldnt be expensive at all

the hardest part is working with the limited room and being abel tpo pull the tranny out. I just did mine the other day. to take the tranny out completely it took 5 hours or so because of a few problems getting one of the passenger side bolts off the midpipe to headers.

other than getting the tranny down and then back in its not really hard just VERY time consuming

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
i can give you a quick run down of it.

First thing you wanna do is get the shifter assembly off. take the shifter out and lay it aside. get the car as high as possible in the front with jacks. Get it all the way and then support it by a wood block in the center of the K member. Take off the bar that goes across the k member. Then go to the mid pipe. Take it off from the headers first. Then disconnect the mid pipe to catback. go to the driveshaft and disconnect the 4 bolts that hold them on. Lube is a must. theyre on there damn tight. the drivesahft shold fall off and now you just pull it out of the shaft in the tranny. lay this aside. take off the clutch fork cover and lay it aside. disconnect all connections and the clutch cable. now go to the bellhousing and your gonna need a few extensions and a swivel for a few of em. they arent that bad, but the room is what kills ya. get those off and get a floor jack ready. drain the tranny then get the jack under the tranny and use a wide wood block to put under the tranny. two people IS recommended for this. now support the tranny with the jack and take off the crossmemder bolts. its the one that has the o2 sensors for the midpipe on it. now the tranny should be resting on the input shaft that goes into the crank. no have 2 people and pull and keep readjusting with jack. SLOWLY pull it out and keep it supposrted by all means. once you have it out pull it out from under the car. Now you can see a pressure plate. Go above the car into the hood and put a long wrench that will fit onto the harmonic balancer to keep the Flywheel form spinning. Just take the pressure plate off. they arent that tight really. the cluthc will fall out with the pressure plate. now youre looking at a flywheel. these nuts are pretty snug. They came off kinda easy though. make sure you have a towel handy as the edges on the flywheel can be sharp. ones you have the flyhweel out get it resurfaced at a shop. while waitingg to a auto parts store and rent a pilot bearing removal tool. Use it and pull the pilot bearing out. put the new one in and hammer it with a rubber mallet. get the new flywheel and give it a nice cleanign with brake cleaner before you put it in. bolt it up. take the new clutch and disk bolt them up. Now take the old the throwout bearing off. get the clutch fork and pull down it shold ocme off the ball joint. take it out and just pull the prongs that keep the bearing in. slide the one in ther and use the old grease from the last one. and then repeat everything in reverse order...

sounds like alot and it is. It isnt that hard if you have a good head on your shoulders.

the flywheel to pressure plate nuts need to be torqued to 28 ft lbs. and the driveshaft to rear gear bolts need to be torqued to 85 ft lbs.

·
Registered
248 Posts
It's all just nuts and bolts, take the digital camera out and document everything you do then if you forget where something goes refer back to the pictures, It's all pretty simple when you look back on it. If you can change a tire you can change a clutch, you just have to have a little confindance in yourself, take your time and we are all here to give you some guidance if needed.

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
the run down i gave is it in a nutshell. its not hard. you just need a FULL day to do it in your driveway.

itll take you probably 8-12 hours.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
zinc gave a good write up on what to do. one thing i'd add to what he said...when disconnecting the bolts from the bellhousing make sure you get the top two out first, otherwise your going to be fighting for hours trying to get them back in. when re-installing those top two should be the last two to install. and correct me if im wrong been a little while since ive done it, but dont you have to disconnect the starter?

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
zinc gave a good write up on what to do. one thing i'd add to what he said...when disconnecting the bolts from the bellhousing make sure you get the top two out first, otherwise your going to be fighting for hours trying to get them back in. when re-installing those top two should be the last two to install. and correct me if im wrong been a little while since ive done it, but dont you have to disconnect the starter?
Yes, you do. Thats about the same price range I have been quoted. One for 350 and the other for 400, without resurfacing because I am putting in an aluminum one. I decided to just do it myself. Was only going to pay to have it done cuz I work 6/10's every week, but heck if I am going to give a whole days pay to someone to install it, I might as well take a day off and do it myself.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Not yet, just got the quote for 350 today, so I will be doing it pretty soon. Hopefully this week. Doesn't really need it, just going to a Spec for the heck of it. The directions above is pretty much on the spot. If you have the tools you need, it might not take you quite that long, and if you have access to a lift, even shorter. Hoping to git-er-done in about 4 hours or so. I wil be doing it on base, though, at the car craft shop. They have everything to make it simple. I hope.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Yes, you do. Thats about the same price range I have been quoted. One for 350 and the other for 400, without resurfacing because I am putting in an aluminum one. I decided to just do it myself. Was only going to pay to have it done cuz I work 6/10's every week, but heck if I am going to give a whole days pay to someone to install it, I might as well take a day off and do it myself.
thanks, thought so. just remember that the starter has 3 bolts, top one being a real PITA to get out.

·
Registered
6,038 Posts

yes you do. IU mustave missed it. I was having to go through it in my head and I musta over looked it.

You have to disconnect the starter before removing the tranny. best way to reach it is to go between the space of the radiator and the engine block and use like 3 6'' extensions and a swivel. its called the bitch bolt for a reason. get that out and yoru set to go.

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
the reason I say so long is because no one can sit there solid and do this ****. Its painstakingly tedious. the tranny removal will wear even streong men out because its a ****ing balancing act even with the jack. its some tough work but its worth its weight in gold in the end

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
not too bad of a price I guess.. it was 365 for me if i remember correctly

·
Registered
159 Posts
why do you need a new clutch and flywheel? let me guess.... donuts in a parking lot? haha.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts