Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So im in the market for a good street and strip tire for my 95 5.0
I need something that doesn't wear super fast but will hook well at the strip and possibly some autocross I drive around 40-50 miles every weekday. I am in the Sacramento area now but make trips over the mountain to Carson a couple times a month or less.
Im going to buy rims as well 10.5's in the rear 9's up front
I looked at the bfg g-forces anyone tried these?
if anybody is better versed in todays tires any help would be appreciated greatly

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
BFG makes a good tire, but on tirerack.com right now they have a closeout sale on the Kumho Ecsta V700 in a 315/35/17 for only $79 each. I've never run a Kumho, but for a tire that size and for that price (originally $211 each), you almost have to try it! I haven't ordered my 10.5" rims yet, but I might even buy a set of these tires just for the price!!!

·
Registered
489 Posts
Bfg's get my vote too but they're very expensive. Like jordon said those V700's for the price are worth scooping up.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Holy dang thats cheap!:D
Ill have to look into those!

could you send a link on those i couldnt find them

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alright i found them thanks for the direction
the only thing i see wrong is right in the description it says
"Important Notice: Kumho Ecsta V700 tires must be shaved to 3/32" - 4/32" tread depth for any autocross or track use in the dry.

Kumho advises that the Ecsta V700 DOT-legal competition radial must be shaved prior to use in dry conditions. If this tire is not shaved, excessive wear may occur causing the tire to wear to the cords prematurely in a localized area.

The Ecsta V700 should only be used at full tread depth (6/32") for wet track and wet autocross use."

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Tirerack offers to shave them for $15 I believe. You can check the box to have this done in the same spot you select the quantity that you'd like to purchase. So even with that charge, and even if it is per tire, you'd still be getting them for 90 bucks each, which is still a deal in my opinion.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
oo that neat but how long would 3/32" last on the street. my guess is not long

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
haha, yeah thats sorta what I was thinking! Probably not long at all. If you got the cash, you might as well try the BFGs. Otherwise I know a lot of guys go with the Nittos from AmericanMuscle.com Free shipping on those bad boys too.
Tons of people run the Sumitomo HTRZs as well. I had them in a 315 on my old 96 and they worked well for what I used them for. They got a little squirly in the rain and didn't have a ton of grab until they got real warm. But I never ran the car at the track, and I didn't put many miles on them either before I sold the car, so I never saw how the tread wore, but I've seen photos of some pretty weird patterns. You can find those cheap all over if none of that concerns you.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It looks like im going to need to buy a separate track tire when money comes available because I do occasionally drive over the sierras when theres snow/ice on the ground. But some summer tires in the winter would probably be pretty fun

1 - 9 of 9 Posts