Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just trying to get some opionions for tires for 4.10 gears with a 5 speed. Post what you are running and how the traction is, im looking to upgrade soon. Been considering an ultra high performance all season tire like the continental extreme contact dws. Im in New England and it is a DD, May also consider a nice set of summer tires although it is only a street car!

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
If you are going to run only one set of rear tires and you intend to drive your car during the winter then the all-seasons are your best choice. If you have the resources to run two sets of rear tires/wheels then get the all-seasons for the winter and run drag radials in the summer.

Tires are the single biggest reason why people say Mustangs are terrible in the snow. The first winter I had my car I almost got stuck in a parking lot on a inch of packed snow. I was running summer tires. Since I switched to all-seasons I've had no trouble at all even in 6" of snow. But if you are driving in deep snow a lot I'd recommend snow tires.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah i was thinking of going with the all seasons then. The DWS have great reviews, i just want to get better traction with the 4.10 gears. I have learned to feather the throttle and shift quick enough into second without blowing the tires off but im just hoping the DWS are up for the challenge. And another thing i was confused about too, I know people run 275-40-17 nitto tires on stock 17x8 rims with no problems because they run narrow and get better traction. I have read on numerous forums that the 275 nitto tires actually really measures out to about 255. So wouldnt 255-40-17 of the continental dws tires be the same? will there be much of an improvement going from the stock 245-45-17 to 255-40-17? My car is NA by the way and has 275 hp dynoed so its not too overkill i dont think for all seasons.

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
I'm running Nitto 555 245/40 - 18 in front and 285/35 - 18 in the rear. Traction is much better than when I was running 245/45 -17's but I can still break it lose if I want to.

·
Anandavenkatakrishnan
21,386 Posts
You still running stock 17s? Just get some nice summer tires and then some winter ones off craigslist.

I am running pilot sports right now and I can almost dead hook :lol

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i still have the stock 17's and am not planning on upgrading the wheels. Another question i had was do any of you launch in 2nd on the street for better traction? i use 2nd to start in sometimes when i feel like 1st is too short but wonder if launching 2nd will help

·
Anandavenkatakrishnan
21,386 Posts
with 4.10s starting out in 2nd won't be an issue at all. 1st gear might be too short for some people.

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
255/40-17s will throw your speedometer off 2.6% and the minimum recommend wheel width is 8.5". They only have a tire wall height of 102 mm while the stock 245/45-17s have a tire wall height of 110 mm. Yes, some people run a wider tire on an 8" wheel but they shouldn't. It pulls the sidewalls in actually pulling the edges of the tread up making the contact patch smaller. To compensate you have to run a lower tire pressure. This makes the sidewall flex more in corners. It would be better to get a 255/45-17. According to the calculator they will fit an 8" wheel. Evidently the taller side wall doesn't pull in as much and they would only throw your speedometer off 1.3%. Running 60 mph your speedometer will read 59.1 mph.

There is a lot more to traction than tire width. I ran 245/45-17 Continental ExtremeContact all-seasons on my stock wheels. I then bought new wheels with 315/35-17 Sumitomos on the back. The smaller Continental had a lot more traction on the street than the Sumitomos. I now run 275/40-17 DWSs in the winter but they are on 9" wheels.

Here is a link to a tire wheel calculator that explains what wheels a tire will fit and how much your speedometer will be off if you buy them.
Tire Size Calculator - tire & wheel plus sizing

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hmm so I wonder if I should get like nitto 555 or just go with the dws both have great reviews but are the 555 that much better traction wise?? I'm wondering if I should get the 275 40 17 for stock rims that many members run or do 245 45 17 dws

·
GT 4.6 SOHC
270 Posts
Just like "Guitarpro1992", I am in the same boat for future 4,10's and wheel mods. One thing I would like to point is that I used to have either the 3.73's or the 4.10's (didn't put em' on myself) on a 99' 2v. 2nd gear starts were not an issue as long as it is done right. Now when launching a 2nd gear with WOT, you better be hoping for the wheels to break loose, because if they stick, you are simply going to slow and beneath the proper speed range and you clutch may suffer. Practice and you will be set. Will try it when I get mine!!!

As for the Pilot's like "dsgpony" mentioned. They are amazing. Had em' on my 98' 740il and was able to hook well; had a hard time even getting them loose! They are preffered to a point when I actually sold the 18 inch tires with 30% thread, even then I had buyers lol.

·
GT 4.6 SOHC
270 Posts
Ohh yea, forgot to mention that the Pilots also great looking tires! :D

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
OP, you need to buy the tires that fit your environment. From your comments it sounds like you drive your car in the winter. New England + daily driver + winter = snow. That is a completely different environment from Texas, Arizona and Southern California. (Although I have seen snow in Texas and Arizona.) If you intend to drive in the winter then drag radials are completely out of the question and summer tires are not recommended. Tire Rack does not sell Nitto tires so I cannot use their test data and surveys to compare Nitto 555s to Continental ExtremeContact DWSs. I suspect that the Nittos would have the edge for summer traction. It's a summer tire. I know that Continental has the edge in cold weather and light snow. It is the best performing tire in that category. But it also has very good dry traction surpassing Sumitomo and Kuhmo summer tires.

·
Registered
647 Posts
i run toyo proxes4 tires. stock size on 4.30 gears.. no real traction problems here. i have driven in the snow but i dont recommend it. its interesting for sure. not impossible, just have to take your time and be ready to drive the car sideways in a straight line haha. but they do very well in rain and excellent in hot weather as they are a summer tire. pulled a 2.1 60 without the battery relocation, stock gears, and stock suspension. now it hooks much better with the new mods but i havent been to the track. all my friends are impresssed with the town fair specials i run. none of them have ever seen a mustang on 4.30s hook so well. all of them say the same thing when they go for a ride.

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
Here are some comparisons: Ultra High Performance Summer tires vs. Ultra High Performance All-Seasons. Please notice their dry traction ratings.
Summer: Consumer Survey Results By Category
All-Seasons: Consumer Survey Results By Category

As far as dry traction goes the #1 all-season beats or equals even the Extreme Performance Summer tire. I chose the #2 Continential ExtremeContact DWS over the #1 Bridgestone Potenza RE970AS Pole Position all-season tire because the Continental has better snow traction and these are my winter tires.
Extreme Summer: Consumer Survey Results By Category

The all-seasons even rate pretty good against most of the Max Performance Summer tires:
Max Summer: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=MP

Again, no comparison to Nitto tires because Tire Rack doesn't sell them.

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
I use BFG KDW II's for year round until it starts snowing. I drive on them in any temperature as long as there is less than 1" of snow on the ground. Once the first snow storm is in the forecast I switch to Bridgestone Blizzaks. I've been using BFG's for 5 years and really like them. Wet weather traction is great.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
well guys i lucked out because my parents bought an extra truck over the weekend to have as a spare when someone needs it and if it ever snows i will be able to take that instead of the stang. I still will be driving my car in cold weather just no snow. I think i want to go with the Nitto 555 275 40 17 rears because i want to be able to get some traction with the 4.10s when the weather gets warm. I dont track the car so i dont know if i need lower control arms as well. Will i be able to hook up on the streets with just the 555s?

·
Head Unicorn
5,085 Posts
Too many variables in that question for an accurate answer.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts