Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Biz Jet Fixer
4,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a nice low mileage VK56 5.6L about 10 miles from me that I might buy and build for my Titan.....now comes what would be really interesting....

I wonder how much work it'd take to swap the 5.6L DOHC Vk56 from my Titan, to the Mustang?

It shouldn't be much harder than a 5.4 swap other than trying to get the electronics to work should it?

It'd be very nice to swap in a stock 305 hp 379 ft-lb torque....

Weight difference would be minimal. From what I've found, the SOHC 4.6 weighs a little over 500lbs? <-uncertain?

The all aluminum 5.6L VK56 weighs 504lbs, so handling would be the same.

A friend of mine owns a drive line shop so that would be no problem.

Just tossing around an idea that will likely never happen, but who knows.....

Any input?

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
well you would need the tranny and then would the driveshaft line up? its way more work than its worth. plus IMO it would be blasphemy to put a nissan engine in a ford. you can pick up a 5.4 for relatively cheap.

·
Registered
689 Posts
try it and see what happens lol. i know with the 5.4 sometimes the exhaust doesnt line up so u might have a problem there with the 5.6. and i highly doubt the 5.6 only weighs 4lbs more than a 4.6 lol.

·
Biz Jet Fixer
4,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
try it and see what happens lol. i know with the 5.4 sometimes the exhaust doesnt line up so u might have a problem there with the 5.6. and i highly doubt the 5.6 only weighs 4lbs more than a 4.6 lol.
It's all aluminum vs the iron block of the 4.6L.

They're surprisingly light engines. I found Nissan's whitepaper for it and it said 231kg...which = 504 lbs.

Exhaust also won't be a problem. Have a friend who owns an exhaust shop as well. It's nice knowing people. lol. Also a friend who owns a machine shop, so custom fabbed parts are no prob.

·
Biz Jet Fixer
4,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
well you would need the tranny and then would the driveshaft line up? its way more work than its worth. plus IMO it would be blasphemy to put a nissan engine in a ford. you can pick up a 5.4 for relatively cheap.
Tranny comes with it, may look for a manual that would would. I'm sure the d/s would line up. Don't see why it wouldn't.

People put 5.7L Chevy's in Fox bodies all the time...is that not worse? :p

Plus, I'm about 99% sure I'd be the only person with a Vk56 powered Mustang...

I know 5.4L's are cheap, but then I'd have no reason to pull the VK56 out of my Titan, either that or I'd have a spare 5.6L sitting around, which is the last thing I need....already on a push for floor space in the shop.

·
!FACEPLATED!
15,305 Posts
it wont be as simple as a 5.4 swap like you mentioned. 5.4s have the same motor mounts as a 4.6 so they bolt right up to the k member where as it will take a lot of fabricating to get the 5.6 in there properly

·
Biz Jet Fixer
4,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
it wont be as simple as a 5.4 swap like you mentioned. 5.4s have the same motor mounts as a 4.6 so they bolt right up to the k member where as it will take a lot of fabricating to get the 5.6 in there properly
Refer to 2 posts above. :D

I'm just wondering if it could be done and how much work it'd be....

They make 90% torque at 2500rpm....That'd be very nice instead of having to run upwards of 4-5k with the 4.6 too....

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
haha thats because the ls1 is an AMAZING engine and IMO is the best motor around for modding. putting a NISSAN engine in an american car just seems wrong to me. it is your car so do what you want with it im not here to judge. and i know the truck is built in america but its still a nissan. im just a big advocate of buying only american brand cars thats all ive owned two caddies a corvette a 2005 hemi ram and someone t-boned me and totaled it i wish i still had it i miss that truck more than anything. again though thats just me.

·
Biz Jet Fixer
4,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
haha thats because the ls1 is an AMAZING engine and IMO is the best motor around for modding. putting a NISSAN engine in an american car just seems wrong to me. it is your car so do what you want with it im not here to judge. and i know the truck is built in america but its still a nissan. im just a big advocate of buying only american brand cars thats all ive owned two caddies a corvette a 2005 hemi ram and someone t-boned me and totaled it i wish i still had it i miss that truck more than anything. again though thats just me.
I'm talking about carb'ed 350's.
I've never seen an LS1 in a Fox.

What I'd REALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLY love to do is swap my 305 in my 92 Camaro to an LS1....but damn they're soo expensive.

Built in Canton, MS. Motor built in Tennesee. :p

More American than GM's new trucks which are Mexican piles... :(

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
in my area there are a ton of cheap ls1 camaros and stuff you should do some craigslist search for bucks county they are everywhere. sure some are high miles but still it would be pretty sick to have a 92 camaro with an ls1. there is a kid around here i heard about that did it. ive never seen him myself but from what i understand it wasnt that hard. what i would really want is a miata swapped ls1!!!

·
Biz Jet Fixer
4,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)

·
Biz Jet Fixer
4,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
in my area there are a ton of cheap ls1 camaros and stuff you should do some craigslist search for bucks county they are everywhere. sure some are high miles but still it would be pretty sick to have a 92 camaro with an ls1. there is a kid around here i heard about that did it. ive never seen him myself but from what i understand it wasnt that hard. what i would really want is a miata swapped ls1!!!
I don't want a whole car...Then I'd have something else to sink money into :/
You're no help!! :p

I looked for months for a 99-02 SS or Z28 before I bought my Mustang, everything i found though was either super high mileage or way out of the ballpark at what I was looking to pay. I wish I would've waited....You can get nice GTO's now for 13-14K.
I've seen the LS1 swapped third gens...They're sick.

When I get the body work finished on my 73 Camaro I hope to be able to put a LS3 in it.

·
Registered
493 Posts
i actually work at the nissan engine assembly plant that build the vk56 and i can tell you that engine is a giant. the intake alone is almost 10" or so in height. i don't know how big of a cowl you'd have to get to fit that thing in there. i don't even know if it would fit at that. the great thing about the vk56 is that it has a forged crank that i've heard can handle somewhere in the 700hp range. it's an absolute beast of an engine but i think you'd have to find a huge shoe horn to get that thing in there.

·
Biz Jet Fixer
4,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i actually work at the nissan engine assembly plant that build the vk56 and i can tell you that engine is a giant. the intake alone is almost 10" or so in height. i don't know how big of a cowl you'd have to get to fit that thing in there. i don't even know if it would fit at that. the great thing about the vk56 is that it has a forged crank that i've heard can handle somewhere in the 700hp range. it's an absolute beast of an engine but i think you'd have to find a huge shoe horn to get that thing in there.
It's a giant but doesn't weigh much. A 6in cowl should do justice? lol Either that or just cut out the stock hood....or run without a hood...hmm....:confused:

Can you get me discounted exhaust manifolds? I'm afraid my driver's side has that dreaded crack. :(

Have you seen the Stillen supercharged VK's? Holy crap....If the Stillen S/C's weren't so unreliable, I'd LOVE to have one.

·
RIP Dennis
76,414 Posts
I don't want a whole car...Then I'd have something else to sink money into :/
You're no help!! :p

I looked for months for a 99-02 SS or Z28 before I bought my Mustang, everything i found though was either super high mileage or way out of the ballpark at what I was looking to pay. I wish I would've waited....You can get nice GTO's now for 13-14K.
I've seen the LS1 swapped third gens...They're sick.

When I get the body work finished on my 73 Camaro I hope to be able to put a LS3 in it.
If you are willing to drive to Kentucky I have a friend with a 99 SS (true ss with clean title) as a roller (no engine or tranny) for $3500...

·
Biz Jet Fixer
4,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If you are willing to drive to Kentucky I have a friend with a 99 SS (true ss with clean title) as a roller (no engine or tranny) for $3500...
Please reread...lol....I do not want a whole car...I want the engine/tranny. :eek:

·
RIP Dennis
76,414 Posts
Please reread...lol....I do not want a whole car...I want the engine/tranny. :eek:
I understand that...But you said you looked for that type car...Didnt know if you still wanted one

·
Biz Jet Fixer
4,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I understand that...But you said you looked for that type car...Didnt know if you still wanted one
I'm trying to sell cars now!!! lol

Leather interior?

I've seen the retro swap interior on first gen's...Super sexy :drool

·
RIP Dennis
76,414 Posts
I'm trying to sell cars now!!! lol

Leather interior?

I've seen the retro swap interior on first gen's...Super sexy :drool
Yes it has every option...This is a 1999 Chevy SS

99 SS(it is my dads old SS) it will be a roller
99 SS NO SALVAGE, good title
-M6 Car
-10 bolt 3.73's
-stock Tq Arm
-no engine no transmission
-stock z28 5 gunmetal 5 spokes
-new carpet, choice of the pleather or T/A cloth seats currently in it
-no leaks
-rear UMI LCA's and Panhard
-only front acc. will be the power steering pump, the rest were shot
or staying with the motor, the idler are not that expensive.
-New Paint, had a small hole under the pedals but was fixed, car was
in a flood and hydro locked the original motor, guy didn't claim it.
-The paint you cant tell but has small gold flake in it, i was
surprised in how well it came out.
-asking $3500 or best cash offer

1 - 20 of 29 Posts