Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just finished my supercharger install and I have some extra money and I'm looking into tranys , I wanted to stay 5 speed but I want something I can literally beat the piss out of and not have problems im ordering 31 splints axles 410 gears and a new differential tomr off am ... So I need some info on trannys and where to get a tko for cheap

·
BYAHHHH!
18,672 Posts
a cheap stick to beat on lol mmm may not last. Gotta pay to play.

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
TKO600s are pretty beefy. You can get a Promotion T3650 thats built and itll last. As far as beating on, as long as your not grinding gears and ****, it can take some good abuse.

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
And the TKO600, you need a different short throw, and Im more then positive it comes with a 26spline input shaft, so youll need a 26 spline clutch disc.

I want to say everything else works fine.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Haha ya dude 1600 ain't bad for a built tranny , you think it would be better than a tko ?

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
Im not sure what the Promotion Powertrain 3650's are rated for? But with the TKO you will definatley need a new shifter. Both will need a 26 spline clutch disc.

I would email them and ask them what the built 3650's are rated for.

·
Registered
24 Posts
the tko is essentially a built t-5 so with a proper bellhousing it would be a good choice for the money. but with 4.10's you may want the higher geared version verses the low geared drag version if you want some better fuel milage. and it will keep the gears closer together for less rpm loss on shifts. but i would recommend the t-56 magnum as it is rated for 700ft-lbs and you have better gear choices.

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
yeah if you can swing it, the T56 magnum is best. But most expensive. Then needing a driveshaft, and **** adds up. A built 3650 or TKO600 will take a lot of abuse.

·
mm's nitrous mod
12,988 Posts
the built t45 and 3650 both are rated for 750 if fully built. i plan on going to a tko600 next myself. i love my built t45, but it wont last behind my next motor. there is more to the tko swap than just trans and shifter. you will have 2500 or a little moer wrapped up in it if everything is bought new.

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
i had a tko3550 in my '95, which was basically the first version of the tko600 before they came out with that one. That trans held up like a champ and took everything my 347 could throw at it and i never had a problem.

·
Registered
678 Posts
A TKO is not a "built T-5", not even close. The closest factory transmission are the old top loader 4 speeds from the muscle car era. I am using a TKO500 in my build because of the shorter first gear. The 500 is available with a 10 spline or 26 spline input. The 600 is only available with the 26 spline. You would need a bellhousing, drive shaft spacer, clutch and shifter to make the switch. Personally I wouldn't run a high horsepower car without a "blow proof" bell housing. I don't really like the idea of the clutch or flywheel coming throught he floor. I am using an SFI approved Quick Time bell on mine.

If you decide to short cut things and go with a T45 or 3650 I would suggest talking to Jim Hardy at The T45 Source - Prove, reliable T45 Transmissions

·
Banned
416 Posts
^I agree. I like my feet staying attached to my legs. I am running a McLeod SFI Bellhousing/Scattershield...

·
mm's nitrous mod
12,988 Posts
i believe there is a scatter sheild for the 3650 now, keisler has one for the t45 too. i want one for mine, but they wont sell seperately :mad:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts