Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So ive got some extra money coming my way from working some extra hours, i cant decide what i want to do with my car... which do you think i would enjoy more?

exhaust or tlock and gears?

This is my dd and below is my small mod list...
CAI
xcal2
steeda competition springs
bilstein shocks/struts
mm cc plates

Im really torn between the two... i would love to have the car sound better but i would also like some more pep in the lower gears...

one question im hoping someone can answer.... does the tlock help alot with driving in the snow? if so that might be a big influence to get the tlock and gears...

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
2 wheels driving will make a significant difference for driving. I'd recommend the gears and t-lok. And if you get a little bit of money you can make your exhaust sound pretty good for less than $200...GT Takeoffs and an H pipe adapter. I'm happy with mine.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
does the exhaust get welded on anywhere? I was thinking about putting this on myself... assuming it was a bolt on job

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
im thinking of getting gears and lsd atm i'd go with that, get a muffler if u want your car to sound badass without the expsense, a good one from like flowmaster will set you back less than 100 bucks

·
Banned
17,374 Posts
yes gears are nice...but you'll feel good about yourself everytime you start your car and hear that exhaust...and i prefer a good welded in exhaust custom made from the headers back...true dual...so no using the stock y-pipe..

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
gears and t lok will give you the most bang for your buck. the exhaust is more of a sound upgrade. it really does not add to much power if any real noticable.

·
So say we all.
594 Posts
If you get the gears, youll need a tuner.

Go with the exhaust for now then get the gears when you can swing the money for a tuner as well.

·
Registered
226 Posts
If you get the gears, youll need a tuner.

Go with the exhaust for now then get the gears when you can swing the money for a tuner as well.
This is my dd and below is my small mod list...
CAI
xcal2
steeda competition springs
bilstein shocks/struts
mm cc plates

He has a tuner already^

·
So say we all.
594 Posts
then id get the gears...i didn't check his sig so i said exhaust...
Yeah same here. ....dam for a Buddhist, my powers of observation have been off for the past two weeks. It's me giving up caffeine.

·
Registered
978 Posts
go with the gears!! you can do the exhaust yourself later as explained earlier for just a few hundred bucks. you will love the gears!! :D

·
Registered
28 Posts
I just did gears (only 3.55s) & tloc yesterday by swapping in an 8.8 from an '07 GT/SC w/3k mi.. If you're thinking gears & tloc, I recommend going with a whole rear end from a GT. I found the rear end on craiglook.com and got it delivered for $349.

As it turns out, the old 7.5" axle (48k) was leaking on the left side and was missing the cap on the vent-- so I needed a new one anyway!

The job took 7 hrs with help, but I replaced the LCA & UCA bushes with Prothane which required burning the old ones out (PITA).

If you don't have, it will be helpful to get:

1/2" torque wrench
electric impact wrench

I don't know about new edge, but with S197 I had to change the pinion flange. I couldn't find a 1/4" torque wrench so I set the pinion bearing preload by cranking the pinion down until the seal got within range of the nose of the diff. housing and then checking preload by hand for every 5ft-lbs I cranked down on the pinion nut.

If I didn't get it spot on, I got really close.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ok sounds good, ill go with gears/tlock and plan to piece together the exhaust in the mean time.

I have a lot of miles on my car so i dunno about the s/c :(

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I just did gears (only 3.55s) & tloc yesterday by swapping in an 8.8 from an '07 GT/SC w/3k mi.. If you're thinking gears & tloc, I recommend going with a whole rear end from a GT. I found the rear end on craiglook.com and got it delivered for $349.

As it turns out, the old 7.5" axle (48k) was leaking on the left side and was missing the cap on the vent-- so I needed a new one anyway!

The job took 7 hrs with help, but I replaced the LCA & UCA bushes with Prothane which required burning the old ones out (PITA).

If you don't have, it will be helpful to get:

1/2" torque wrench
electric impact wrench

I don't know about new edge, but with S197 I had to change the pinion flange. I couldn't find a 1/4" torque wrench so I set the pinion bearing preload by cranking the pinion down until the seal got within range of the nose of the diff. housing and then checking preload by hand for every 5ft-lbs I cranked down on the pinion nut.

If I didn't get it spot on, I got really close.

Yeah im going to take a look around to see what i can find, if i cant find a 8.8 with the gears then ill probably just end up doing the gears and tlock on the 7.5...

Does anyone have experience installing gears and tlock? i know the install is pretty specific and things need to be done correctly with it... Just wanted to see if anyone has any first hand experience..

1 - 20 of 28 Posts