Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys I need help deciding, I either want to stroke my 351w to a 408 or 418w, or buy a blower, I am not familiar with blowers by any means, are they good? Do you have to do anything to the motor internally,How much horse can u pick up roughly? Here's what I was looking at, I still want this car to be reliable and be driving on the street.

Supercharger USA - Ford Blower Kits - 289 302 351 390 428 429 460 Boss Superchargers

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
Stock low compression 351, or does it have higher compression pistons in it already? If they are the low compression ones, the answer is easy!

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ya know what I never did get what compression the engine is, I'll call the dude tomorrow, probably a good thing to know huh?

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What would be a better option tho? Blower on my 351w or just stroke it to a 418w and spray nitrous? How much more ponies we talking with a blower roughly?

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
Depends on the cam, heads, intake, and of course how much boost you plan to run. What's your goal. Tell us what you would like, and we will help you get there.

·
Registered
325 Posts
If its for the street and track, stroke it. If its mainly drag, then blow it. That's a big ass blower. Might hinder your sight on the street. Lol. Ever think of switching to efi?

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I want to push 500hp reliable, still be able to drive it on the weekends and go to the track once in awhile and run consistent, found a place in nj called proformance looks like they do good work from what I've heard, might just do a 418w stroker then if that isn't enough I could always juice it or blow it, don't get me wrong the car absolutely screams now and I don't want to hack this car because it's a mint 86 so idk, might just drive it till she blows and go from there! And I kinda want to stick with carb

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
500 crank would be easy, almost an accident, with a 408/418, 500 at the wheels wouldn't take anything harder than planning out what you are going to do before you slap it together. 1.5 hp per cube takes nothing more than making sure your parts are adequate to handle the task. Must be able to breath, custom cam for your setup, and make sure the valvetrain is set up properly. Order pistons that will give you enough compression to still be able to run pump gas. As a general rule, 10 to 1 with iron heads, and 11 to 1 with aluminum.

·
Registered
325 Posts
+1 carbed cars are powerhouses N/A. Just use a lil N2o when you go to the track. I think a 10.5:1 CR would be perfect if your running 93 octane.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts