Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, the plan for this summer is to build me a shortblock. Now the nature of this shortblock is going to be n/a, high compression, with tfs heads. I'm wanting a boss 5.0 block as well. I am looking sroud trying to find somewhere that I can buy a shortblock from, but with all the options I want, the price tag keeps approaching like $5000. So I'm wondering if I could build my motor for less than the price of buying a shortblock.

Also, lunati makes a destroker crank that drops the stroke down to 3.350" and was really toying with using that with the big bore to make a high rpm 289 modular. The end goal is to run this thing to 8000rpm probably using something like a fast system or the like.

If you guys could give some insight, I would appreciate it!

Teej

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
You aren't going to save too much money when it is all said and done. Plus, one thing you are paying for when you buy a shortblock from a good engine builder is the experience. An 8,000+ rpm build is not a shortblock that I would mess around with trying to save a couple hundred bucks by doing it locally.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea, I hear that. I was looking around and with what I want, it looks like modular performance with John tymensky at the helm is the best bet. I mean it's $5k but it's got everything. And then I'd upgrade to billet I beams then too.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I would like to call places and talk to different people about what setup they would suggest but I don't want to be a pain first off, and start asking really detailed questions and have them pour put their knowledge to me and then me not buy anything from them. I think I'm gonna talk to John tymensky and see what he has to say and go from there.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Here is my simplified opinion:

After researching building a modular it is cheaper to pay a good/experienced builder like Tymensky.

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
Well I would like to call places and talk to different people about what setup they would suggest but I don't want to be a pain first off, and start asking really detailed questions and have them pour put their knowledge to me and then me not buy anything from them. I think I'm gonna talk to John tymensky and see what he has to say and go from there.
That is not a bad option. It's one thing to just call around and ask a million questions and never buy anything. It is completely different if you are actually looking to pay someone a few thousand dollars for an engine but want to see what they have to say about your possible build first before pulling the trigger with them. I would definitely get on the phone with several guys like John Tymenski, Tim Barth, Sean Hyland, etc.... and see what they have to say about your plans and what kind of parts/build they would recommend. See how many cars they have built with a similar engine and how they turned out. Ansking a few questions on the phone should not be a worry of yours when you are talking about spending that kind of money.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
A powerful NA car is cool and everything... But it almost seems like a waste of time in these cars without serious money. I'd just do the SC route.

·
Procrastinator
4,558 Posts
Good luck with a BB 2v build, leave the stroke the stock, it will save money and still be fine for high revs.

·
Procrastinator
4,558 Posts
A powerful NA car is cool and everything... But it almost seems like a waste of time in these cars without serious money. I'd just do the SC route.
+1 NA is expensive, but I really cant talk everyone out of it as I am doing the NA thing. Actually spending money on it will be what weeds out those who want to do it and those who will.

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
High revving N/A is no more expensive than FI once you factor in a built motor. Most guys that go heavily into modding these cars will end up with a built motor either way. You can get the job done either way, so it really is all a matter of personal preference.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Honestly the goal for this car is simple. First off, do the built longblock to get that out of the way and have a reasonably fun car in the meantime. Then when I graduate college, do the transmission with twin disc clutch, mid-sized turbo or blower(no larger than a 70mm turbo or an F1A supercharger-simply because a smaller blower wouldnt be able to handle the RPM that my motor will run) and run the boost somewhere around 12-15psi on E85. With E85 being 2.60/gal in my area, its a shame not to use it really. With premium coming in at 4.10, it saves $1.50/gal, which would negate the fact that E85 gets lower fuel economy. And with a build like this, who the hell cares about gas mileage anyways.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Bump for this morning!

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well I'm figuring on this summer is when it will start. I might start with saving for the shortblock first and then having that sit on an engine stand until I get my tfs heads and Logan intake and then tubular k member. Then just dropping the k member all together and bolting up the new one with engine already mounted in it. Or I might go for the heads/cams and longtube headers first and then run that for a while and save for the shortblock. I don't know what I want to do yet though.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts