Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, i have a 2000 v6, and i really want to save money up and make maybe 300hp. But then on the other hand, family members have been telling me to wait and not spend money on this car. Im 17, about to graduate high school, and want a fast car. So should i wait? or just spend all i have right now to get some speed with my car?

·
Safud: MM's Resident Hadji
5,242 Posts
I'm in the same boat as you age wise...But I am modding my car (not the sixxer though :D)

I think you should have fun at this age and if cars is your fun then mod away :yes

·
Doc
37,101 Posts
It is never a good idea to spend all of your money on a car; be it a v6 mustang or a Cobra. If you have the mod bug just save up for the part or parts that you want.
Don't spend money that you need for important things on car parts.

·
Safud: MM's Resident Hadji
5,242 Posts
It is never a good idea to spend all of your money on a car; be it a v6 mustang or a Cobra. If you have the mod bug just save up for the part or parts that you want.
+1 I didn't mean spend all your money on the car when I did my post. But I mean to throw a little around here and there isn't a bad thing

·
Not A Regular Member
17,101 Posts
+1. Since I'm still living at home I can live on ~$100 a week so I put about half of my weekly paycheck into my bank account for general spending needs (mostly gas and food) and the other half gets put away for car parts.

But if you want to mod your car and have money to pay for other things you need, go for it. Btw your parents will never stop telling you what to do, there's just a point where you start taking it as advice instead of as commands. I'm 19, my car as paid for in full by me + title in my name, and my dad still tries to tell me what I should do to it. Then again he doesn't know much about cars nor has he ever been the kind of guy to enjoy smoke shows and loud exhausts.

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
im 17 and paid off my car, mod ur car but dont use 100% of your money incase something goes wrong and its always wise to save. were all going to die 2012 so dont be too conservative

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
were all going to die 2012 so dont be too conservative
not sure if youre joking or notas it is hard to pick up on e-sarcasm...but dont live by this quote, or youll be screwed when 2013 comes around.

but i say mod it while making sure you have enough money in case you need to make a repair on the car. definitely would suck to blow all your money on mods then have your car break and not be able to afford fixing it.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Ya man im in the same boat. Just do small mods every now and then. Maybe like every month spend a little. I saved up money and put it on the side for rims in the spring

·
Admanistrator
13,320 Posts
Oh, it's also more fun if you do one mod at a time. This way, you can really feel and appreciate each new piece.

·
Zoolander
7,719 Posts
I agree with the mods. I am coming from a different angle though I am 41 and have a mortgage and two kids. Do some mods but remember it's tough to live in your car. So save some money too.
+1 I'm more concerned about bills than modding my Cobra...even if the bug has bit me very very hard.

·
Banned
636 Posts
pfft dont listen to these chumps, you can live pretty easily in your car. They make all kinds of appliances and stuff for cigerate lighter adapters. Although trying to change and shower is sorta hard.

·
Priest of the Car Gods
17,313 Posts
I'd mod it, but be realistic with your budget and what you need the car to do. 4.10s are gonna be great gears for the track, but if you're making long-distance freeway commutes they're a pain in the ass.

I'd look at what you want to do with the car first. For the way I use my cars, stock power is fine, but the handling is miserable; I put all my money into making mine turn better. Some guys just want it to look or sound good, most of the guys on this board just want it to go fast in a straight line. Being focused will prevent you from doing things that don't help you towards your goal.

Remember, any money you sink into modding your car is GONE. You will NEVER recoup any money put into mods, and more likely than not they'll devalue the car. Modding the car is strictly for your own enjoyment, so don't have any illusions about "investing" in it.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I am also a 17 year old Senior working part time at Chickfila. I got the mustang a really good price from my cousin, but she beat front up really bad. I saved up and replaced the front bumper and hood, added an exhaust system, and now Im saving up for more mods.

From what I've been told by others, try to have all of your performance mods done before going to college. The money that you earn in college will be enough to do some minor mods, but you dont want to by a turbo as a college student.

·
Banned
636 Posts
I am also a 17 year old Senior working part time at Chickfila. I got the mustang a really good price from my cousin, but she beat front up really bad. I saved up and replaced the front bumper and hood, added an exhaust system, and now Im saving up for more mods.

From what I've been told by others, try to have all of your performance mods done before going to college. The money that you earn in college will be enough to do some minor mods, but you dont want to by a turbo as a college student.
Regardless of all of that. If you have enough $ for college, like a serperate fund then mod whatever you want, whenever you want with whatever extra $ you have outside of your college fund.

Just make sure you have enough for college and expenses.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.