Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a new grille for christmas. The middle of the grille is chrome colored ABS plastic. I need it black, not the glossy or untextured black that you get out of a can of paint. I need something closely resembling the black plastic grille and lower grille that comes stock. As of right now I don't have any plans of changing the lower grille, so a good match is important.

Long story short...how do I get it to the finished product? Paint shop? Powedercoat?

I feel like Powdercoating would be most likely for the best results. I know you CAN powdercoat plastic now, however, I am unsure if you can bake the powdercoat on this, with the lights and electrical wires and all.

Another option might be plastidipping??? I'm completely unfamiliar with the process and only heard of this today.

I'm free to anyones suggestions on the best option here. Keep in mind it not only needs to match but grilles tend to get hit by alot of rocks and insects. The last thing I need is chrome peeking through after a summer of daily driving.

Link for picture of grille from American muscle.. http://s7d4.scene7.com/is/image/Turn5/49068?$s7product$

·
aloha ke akua
13,177 Posts
No to dip because it won't match. What about a textured paint and just paint the new grill and the lower grill?

·
Premium Member
2,063 Posts
Got a new grille for christmas. The middle of the grille is chrome colored ABS plastic. I need it black, not the glossy or untextured black that you get out of a can of paint. I need something closely resembling the black plastic grille and lower grille that comes stock. As of right now I don't have any plans of changing the lower grille, so a good match is important.

Long story short...how do I get it to the finished product? Paint shop? Powedercoat?

I feel like Powdercoating would be most likely for the best results. I know you CAN powdercoat plastic now, however, I am unsure if you can bake the powdercoat on this, with the lights and electrical wires and all.

Another option might be plastidipping??? I'm completely unfamiliar with the process and only heard of this today.

I'm free to anyones suggestions on the best option here. Keep in mind it not only needs to match but grilles tend to get hit by alot of rocks and insects. The last thing I need is chrome peeking through after a summer of daily driving.

Link for picture of grille from American muscle.. http://s7d4.scene7.com/is/image/Turn5/49068?$s7product$
A powder coat finish will most likely work just fine! However, you could use a textured paint, Plastidip or purchase a matching lower grille?

I think all 3 of these options are great. Let me know if I can be of any assistance or if you have any questions!

-Dan

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A powder coat finish will most likely work just fine! However, you could use a textured paint, Plastidip or purchase a matching lower grille?

I think all 3 of these options are great. Let me know if I can be of any assistance or if you have any questions!

-Dan
Gotta love a reply straight from AM!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts