Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Ive been without AC for the past 2 years or so and the Texas heat has motivated me to finally fix it. Ive traced my leak at the condenser. Ive decided to replace it along with the low side pressure line, accumulator and compressor. An evaporator core flush will also be performed.

As far as part quality is concerned what does everyone recommend? Personally I've had bad experiences with UAC. I'm going with Spectra for the condenser from summit racing($70) but I'm unsure whether to go with Four Seasons or Denso for the compressor and remaining parts.

Also, which disconnect tool is truly the best to disconnect the ac lines? Especially the accumulator to the evaporator core connection at the firewall.

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

I know theres tons of videos out there already Im also thinking about documenting the process if it'll help the community out.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
finally got around to installing all the new components.

i pulled a vacuum and let it sit for a while after closing it off. How long are you supposed to hold a vacuum before determining that its ok to refill the system with refrigerant? most sites say 10-15 mins, and it appeared to be fine for that time period but i decided to wait longer. I cleaned up the area and took a shower to come back about an hour and 15 mins later and the gauges read about 5 mm hg less. Im guessing I can just continue with refilling as normal and if there's a leak, see where the dye hits?

thanks to all who've contributed.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
update

Pulled a vacuum then cracked in can of r134a. It took some and the low side went up to 30ish and my started compressor started to short cycle. However, I could never get the thing to take more refrigerant. I thought maybe it just needed time to take in the can so I stepped away for a few only mins only to return because of a loud pop from the suction line also popping out of the drier.

At this point I think it’s important to mention that I may have opened up both the low and high side on the manifold when recharging instead of just the low side. Pressure on high side was about 50 if I remember correctly.

I quickly reconnected it, afraid to have exposed the drier to moisture. I then took off the manifold set and inspected the suction line since the spring was pretty crappy and there was hissing/gurgling at the shrader valve now. I’m done lol I’m buying the suction line and sending it to get a professional evac and recharge. Only concern now is if I need to get yet another new drier due to the pop off?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts