Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some opinions on the matter of whether or not to trade my:
1986 5.0 vert with "interesting" paint job (pictures to profile coming soon) It has 4:30 gears and a cold air intake. No other work done. It will need paint, and considerable work under the hood. It has the stock flat top pistons - which i didn't know about until after I traded my civic for it - and they are frustrating b/c I can't just change heads without changing pistons (or so i think)

for:

1990 5.0 GT primer black, with a freshly installed gt-40 engine. The mechanic I am trading with did the work himself at his shop (where I first saw the car). The interior is a little rough, but not too bad. No other work done on it.

If you have any ideas, or any input it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading this unnecessarily long post. (MY FIRST!) POPPED IT!

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
First off welcome to Moddedmystangs! But i guess it depends on what ya like, personally i like the Gt hatchbacks, but thats me...i am also not a huge 5.0 vert fan, But anyways Also depends on if ya like Carb or Fuel injection, And some major things are, mileage, body, rust vs. no rust. And so on...
But if it was me ( and i knew alittle more about it ) I would prob do it, But im a Fuel Injection fan and i love hatchbacks. Not to mention a new engine. I would prob do it. But the thing that would matter to me the most is the rust. I live in Michigan and its really hard to find a rust free stang, might not be so out of the ordinary for you though. Well good luck!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the welcome, and the input. No rust here in Arizona, usually. But I need to check his closer. My friend is telling me to do it, just based on the engine alone. The paint is sort of a wash b/wn them and my interior isn't all that great. I like the vert, but it seems like they are a pain to maintain. O.k. I'll probably do it, unless someone gets on here and gives me a great reason not to. Thanks again for the input.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah. This one is fuel injected. Needs a cleaning too!

·
Registered
288 Posts
Im a hatchback fan too... but its really what you like. Its hard for any of us to give you an honest opinion cause we arent there to compare the condition of the two cars. but good luck!!

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
1986...wasnt it the 1st year F.I? But i thought it didnt fully work like a true Fuel injection system, it was kinda " 1/2 and 1/2 "...I dunno, but i though the 86's were like that...Someone let me know, its bothering me now haha.
Btw is it a 5 speed? Also if ya do trade ( is it straight up?) you would def. get a little better gas mileage you really has a 4.30 gear? Dang man, you drag it or something, jw. But yeah its def. easier to repaint a car than rebuild the engine, and plus if ya do trade, ya know that the work on it was prob done right! :) Well good luck, let us know what ya do, maybe some pics?

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Ah ok, sweet, thanks yeah i should have known, my dad used to own a 86 when i was little.....Then again at that age i only knew it was a car with 4 wheels :p

·
Registered
371 Posts
sounds like a wierd deal to me, id check that car out some more, take it out and beat on it some.... if i had the 90 with all the gt-40 parts on it i woudlnt even think about trading for a 86, gears in the 86 or not.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am going to test drive it today. he just drove it to mexico and back for a family emergency. he said that it is burning through the plug wires. I don't know if that means I need to do anything special. I am a little leary(sp) about it, but with the GT40 engine it seems like it might be a good deal. I don't know. Any other help would be great.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think I'll steal it.

·
Registered
4,781 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I think it has gt40 heads and intake....I'm not really sure. I'm pretty new to all of this, and I'm learning something everyday.

My PSA for the day is Alabamastanga is a butt pirate. You've been warned!!!

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
What exactly is a GT40 engine?
depends on if its the gt40 crate motor from ford racing or an original from an 93 cobra or (doesnt really count) explorer 5.0....but they original motors were gt40/ cobra intake, gt40 or gt40p heads and a 65mm tb..dont think much else..the gt40 crate motor on the other hand now i think is cobra intake, e303 cam, gt40x aluminum heads, 1.6 roller rockers and some other **** to make like 350 or so horses

1 - 20 of 31 Posts