Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Tire Smoker
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey whats up, I am getting ready to do all the bolt ons on my car. Im going to be using a stock shortblock, Trickflow stage 1 or 2 cam (haven't decided yet), double roller timing chain, professional products harmonic damper, trick Flow heads w/ track heat valve springs, Comp cams 1.7 roller rockers, Comp Cams pushrods, Edelbrock performer rpm upper and lower, 70mm spacer, 70mm Accufab TB, 17# injectors, BBK? fuel pressure regulator, BBK equal length headers, catless H pipe, Flowmaster catback, TKO500 Tranny,Hurst Shifter, Centerforce Dual Friction clutch, Ford racing driveshaft, 94-98 rear diff for 5 lug 3.27 gears? No Emissions, and a Megasquirt. The only things here i dont actually have yet are the fuel pressure regulator, cam, valve springs, and rear diff. I bought this stuff as a package deal off of a friend. He was running this setup in a convertible with a Vortech running 10 psi. With all the stuff i got from him i also got a 1 inch intake spacer. they make them in 1/2 inch and 1 inch for those intakes. I'm wondering if i should use the 1" spacer or downsize to a 1/2"? The car is an 87 GT convertible that will be used as a fast reliable driver that will probably see a few runs at the track here and there but it won't be a regular thing. What do you think about the spacer and what do you think about the cam?? Also any guesses on 1/4 mile ET, HP or TQ #'s Thanks, Brian.

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
Either cam, but you really benefit from dyno tuning with the Stage 2 from what I've seen/read. I have the Stage 2 also, and I can see why. If the spacer is phenolic, it's only purpose is to delay/cut down on heat soak (cuz the upper will still get hot), and to help clear tall valve covers. This I can tell you. With the raised valve cover rail of the TF heads, you will clear rollers with short valve covers, but may need to slightly modify the mounting holes on the throttle bracket so it doesn't rub on them.

·
Tire Smoker
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The spacer is phenolic i believe. It kinda looks like wood? I knew that was it's purpose, what i was worried about was it hurting lower rpm power and or driveability. I have a stock shortblock so i won't be spinning it past 6k. I also noticed that the top of the intake rubbed the hood a little bit so i was worried about clearance issues. I have the Cervinis Heat Extractor hood. I will probably go with the stage 2 because thats what i was kinda leaning towards anyways. I do also have Trick Flow tall valve covers. I wonder if thats why he bought the spacer. I never saw his car together.

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
I have a Trickflow intake, which may be slightly different, but I'm betting you will need all of that 1 inch spacer with tall valve covers. I have a cowl, so I didn't rub. but had to use a spacer once. I picked up a whole mess of new stuff from a guy that fell on hard times and didn't get to use any of it. Tall valve covers were included. I eventually sold them to a buddy because my nitrous plate (mounts between the intakes) is only 3/4 inch and I didn't clear the valve covers anymore and I wasn't going to throw a spacer in there with that also. I picked up some stock height ones off ebay. Just a thought....

·
Tire Smoker
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ya i might get a different set of valve covers anyways. For some reason i don't really like the look of the tall trick flow's i do like the shorter ones they make though (The more rounded ones).

·
Tire Smoker
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This asshole i used to know actually got Crane gold race 1.7's under stock covers with a little grinding. He had Trick Flow Heads too.

·
85 GT convertible
660 Posts
From what I remember the phenolic spacer does two things. It helps cut down on heat soak and it creates more plenum volume, which make more low end and mid range. You mentioned you weren't gonna run the motor up past 6000 rpm. The extra plenum volume will help top end but the spacer is not open so it creates longer runners. That means the velocity will stay up helping your low end and mid range. It's a win win. If you have the hood clearance than by all means put it on and go with the stage 2 cam.

Jerry

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
QUOTE=88 gtu;5004609]Hey whats up, I am getting ready to do all the bolt ons on my car. Im going to be using a stock shortblock, Trickflow stage 1 or 2 cam (haven't decided yet), double roller timing chain, professional products harmonic damper, trick Flow heads w/ track heat valve springs, Comp cams 1.7 roller rockers, Comp Cams pushrods, Edelbrock performer rpm upper and lower, 70mm spacer, 70mm Accufab TB, 17# injectors, BBK? fuel pressure regulator, BBK equal length headers, catless H pipe, Flowmaster catback, TKO500 Tranny,Hurst Shifter, Centerforce Dual Friction clutch, Ford racing driveshaft, 94-98 rear diff for 5 lug 3.27 gears? No Emissions, and a Megasquirt. The only things here i dont actually have yet are the fuel pressure regulator, cam, valve springs, and rear diff. I bought this stuff as a package deal off of a friend. He was running this setup in a convertible with a Vortech running 10 psi. With all the stuff i got from him i also got a 1 inch intake spacer. they make them in 1/2 inch and 1 inch for those intakes. I'm wondering if i should use the 1" spacer or downsize to a 1/2"? The car is an 87 GT convertible that will be used as a fast reliable driver that will probably see a few runs at the track here and there but it won't be a regular thing. What do you think about the spacer and what do you think about the cam?? Also any guesses on 1/4 mile ET, HP or TQ #'s Thanks, Brian.[/QUOTE]

No on bbk regulator, and you need #24 lb injectors if you want ill sell ya my whole cobra computer set up with 24 lb injectors, Maf , and computer

·
Tire Smoker
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Why do you say no on the regulator? just wondering? I was considering 24# injectors but didn't think i needed them with a regulator and a Megasquirt. Why use a stock computer when i have a standalone? The car that i got all that stuff from actually had that same setup but he sold the injectors before i bought the rest of the stuff. With that setup (cobra computer, mass air 24# injectors) with the stupidcharger he said he was getting like 8MPG.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
yes u need bigger injectors

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
Why do you say no on the regulator? just wondering? I was considering 24# injectors but didn't think i needed them with a regulator and a Megasquirt. Why use a stock computer when i have a standalone? The car that i got all that stuff from actually had that same setup but he sold the injectors before i bought the rest of the stuff. With that setup (cobra computer, mass air 24# injectors) with the stupidcharger he said he was getting like 8MPG.
Yeah, cuz it was clearly because he had 24lb injectors :screwy:

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Make a turbo car and run 19# injectors at 15 psi lemme know how it works. It wont because the injectors max out. you cant tune them higher IDC what standalone you have. and I dont know why you would want to put smaller injectors than stock on a modified setup

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Make a turbo car and run 19# injectors at 15 psi lemme know how it works. It wont because the injectors max out. you cant tune them higher IDC what standalone you have. and I dont know why you would want to put smaller injectors than stock on a modified setup
I don't think he is running the vortech I think it was his buddy that had it. But either way idk why you would go down in injector size (to 17#)

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Still should use 24s

Sent from my SPH-D700 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

1 - 20 of 27 Posts