Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Torchin tires...
2,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my TOB had started chirping before i put it away for the winter. I previously owned a 01 GT with the same prob and replaced it (had stock clutch). IMO it is WAY too much work for just a bearing change, so my plan for this car is to let that TOB sing away until the clutch is ready to be changed (also stock). The car drives and shifts like a dream, and the longer i dont have to put a stiffer performance clutch in the better. My question is, does the TOB chirping signify any possible damage happening to the transmission? I dont care if its a sign of clutch wear, because i know being S/C'd its only a matter of time before the stock clutch just isnt enough. I just dont want to be damaging or wearing out any trans/engine parts.

·
Head Unicorn
5,085 Posts
No it won't damage the trans or clutch, however if it fails it could leave you semi stranded on the side of the road. The reason I say semi stranded is that you won't be able to disengage the clutch but if you know how to drive without the clutch you could limp it home (crank the engine in first and rev match each shift, neutral to stop and shut the engine off.... repeat as needed).

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
Mine has had the occasional chirp for 4 years. Holds 5500rpm clutch dumps at the track on bfg drag radials without a problem. I'm not touching it until it lets go or new clutch is needed.

·
Head Unicorn
5,085 Posts
It will, eventually.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts