Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had some brand new Tokico HP struts installed on my 04 GT. The car drives great but on certain small bumps, I get a weird knocking sound on the left that sounds like it's coming from the top. It's not all of the time, just on certain tiny small bumps in the road. It's annoying and wasn't doing it before the new struts. It's not a squeak and when I push down on the front you can not hear anything. It's kind of like a hard knocking sound that I can't figure out.

I have Steeda Superlite springs, Steeda 4 bolt C/C plates. I took the wheel off and couldn't find anything lose or broken.

The only thing left to do is get an alignment (waiting about 75-100 miles. I also ordered a set of new bushings to replace the factory ones that were used with this setup.

Has anyone heard of this before, or is this normal with aftermarket struts?

IMG_1139 by Steeda04GT, on Flickr

IMG_1141 by Steeda04GT, on Flickr

IMG_1143 by Steeda04GT, on Flickr

·
Premium Member
1,635 Posts
I had that problem same cc plates. I install the lower plate upside down or backward on right side. At first I didn't here anything then I installed new struts and it would bang /clank/ raddled/ what ever you want to call it, every time I would hit a small bump man hole cover ect.. on that side only. I decided to replace the spherical bushing and that's when I found my problem.

hope this helps

·
What Camaro??
50 Posts
Have you remove the ISOS??? If yes, i`m pretty sure there is yours problem... ISOS are made to avoid some grinding sound (Metal on metal) when you passe some speedbumps. If you don`t have it, juste remove your springs and put some electric tape on each end of the springs

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
Not sure about the Steeda plates, but the UPR plates specifically called for removing the strut dust cover; are you sure you should not have removed it? Also, the design of the steeda plates is different from the UPR kit but where's the strut bearing cap that will hold the struts to the strut towers?

·
Pays in respect
2,891 Posts
any wear on the bump stops?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well no idea what the hell is causing this. I've tried numerous bushing spacing configurations and even called Steeda to get their input. I don't have any more time to work on it since I'll be leaving town soon and the Mustang will go back in the garage for a few months. I will re-engage it when I get back and take to the race shop to have them find out what it is. My emergency plan is to switch to some MM plates and Bilstein struts that have a better setup underneath.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Have you remove the ISOS??? If yes, i`m pretty sure there is yours problem... ISOS are made to avoid some grinding sound (Metal on metal) when you passe some speedbumps. If you don`t have it, juste remove your springs and put some electric tape on each end of the springs
I used the factory isolators when I installed the springs. I verified that they were in place.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm having the same issue with my 2002 mustang making knocking noises on the passenger side. One shop told me it was the passenger side tokico strut that needed to be replaced. After I did that the noise was still their. I took it into another shop and they said my camber plate needed to be replaced on the DRIVERS side. And after taking the car to ANOTHER place, they told me that the camber plate was okay and the drivers side tokico strut needed to be replaced.
Im going back to my hometown to a trusted mechanic to get a 4th opinion, because while my drivers side strut might need replacement, I took my car down a rough road and when the passenger side is on the rougher part, the knocking noise is definitely. But when I move the rough side of the road onto the drivers side, no more noise.
Anyone able to help me out? The sway bar I have in the front is perfectly fine, and with the new tokico strut on the passenger side, all of the mechanics have said it is sound and tight like it should be. HELP?!

·
Registered
90 Posts
With your CC plates, did you cut off the section of bump stop that the instructions called for? If not and you REALLY don't want to cut one then I would suggest removing the dust shield and bump stop completely temporarily to diagnose, if the problem goes away then it is hitting something.
Also, if it's only on steep bumps I would be tempted to put some dollar store silly putty on the top of your strut rods and close the hood to see how close they get, if it's pretty close you could have enough travel to hit the hood and make a knocking noise.

Otherwise I would check your bumpstops, the knocking might be from being lowered the OEM bumpstops are too tall and not allowing full suspension travel
If unfamiliar, I think there's one in the back by the middle of the rear axle that lands on it and stops travel if it goes too far, I'm unsure about where they are located on the front; it may even be the ones that go on the strut rod before the dust boot and it's attached bump stop goes on are intended to be the suspension travel bump stops for the front.

(Also for what it's worth I'm running KYB struts with Eibach springs dropped 1.3" up front 1.4" in the back with Steeda 4 bolt caster camber plates with OEM stock dust shields and bump stops uncut; only the one long spacer on the bottom and the short spacer in the top and not using any of the spacer washers that didn't have a machined tip to fit into the spherical bearing, no noise other than road noise and I am very picky about noise; I am however running Eibach bumpstop as well.)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.