Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do 3.5" tips give a lower exhaust tone then 3" tips?...i always come up with obvious pointless questions haha :D

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
do you post on every thread? lol. its like everytime i go check on out you are the last person to post. or you at least have 2 or 3 posts on it. lol

·
Retired MM Ninjas
12,556 Posts
Some say yes, and some say no. I say yes, when I 1st did an exhaust on my Duramax I did straight 4'' pipe no tip. then after a while I put a 5'' tip on it didn't change much. Then I put on single 5'' stack with 4" piping into it was louder and deeper. Then I again changed the stack to a 6" It made an noticeable difference it seemed to bellow more and the turbo whine wasn't as noticeable as before. The reason that my truck have changed a bit wa due to the different exhaust setups from regular over the axle exhaust to a stack through the bed. and typically an exhaust tip is form 12" to 6" long, my stacks where 32"

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
alright...cuz im doing full pypes exhaust (LT headers, o/r h-pipe and violators) and i want a lilttle bit lower tone and wasn't sure if i should get the cat-back with 3.5" tip instead of the 3" tip

·
Retired MM Ninjas
12,556 Posts
the rule of thumb is smaller pipes with be more high ptched and you'll get that horrible crackling sound and bigger diameter pipes give a deeper throatier sound. I reccomend 3.5" tips. My car has 3" tips and they look too small.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
if your doing full pypes exhaust, i honestly would do a mac prochamber...i wrote a thread on it...it sounds amazing

·
Registered
248 Posts
the rule of thumb is smaller pipes with be more high ptched and you'll get that horrible crackling sound and bigger diameter pipes give a deeper throatier sound. I reccomend 3.5" tips. My car has 3" tips and they look too small.
LOL! true I hate the crackle when you let off the throttle but I know some that really love the sound, IMO that crackle as you put it sounds like ****, but each to his or her own. I like the sound of a catted flowmaster setup but that is what I like and everyone has thier own opinion.

·
Retired MM Ninjas
12,556 Posts
I have an off road h pipe and flowmasters on my Mach and it does that. I hate it! I haven't made my mind up on what exhaust I'm going to get yet. I'm open to suggestions.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I guess I should have stated that I have a stock H pipe with cats with a flowmaster 2.5 cat back and I love the way it sounds, it may not be the most free flowing or the best sounding exhaust out there but I like the way it sounds, not too loud and no anoying crackle when I let off the throttle.

·
Retired MM Ninjas
12,556 Posts
Mine isn't to loud either, but it doesn't sound that great. I really like the sound of the Borlas on a 4 valve, sounds amazing. Mine does however crackle like a bitch when you let off and that i don't like. My buddy agrees with you though he has Flowmasters on his Fox body and loves them.

·
Registered
248 Posts
need to get some posts on here with video on and off the throttle with different exhaust to get a real feel for the different sounds.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts