Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
8,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my friend with the lift and tools keeps canceling on me, he's been doing it for weeks now.

so i'm just going to install the lt's on jackstands, i don't have a sawzall, whats a good one to get?

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
You could always just use a hacksaw if you don't want to buy one. It's not like you really need to do a lot of cutting.

I used some pretty nice Dewalt sawzalls that we put through hell at the construction company I worked for.

·
Banned
7,007 Posts
I don't know a lot about the sixxers but what do you need a saw for if you're just putting in LT's?

I'm mocking up an exhaust with a couple old catbacks, a hacksaw, a pound in style exhaust expander, a couple adapters and some clamps. It's kind of a pain but I have the time so why not

·
Banned
8,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Banned
8,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't know a lot about the sixxers but what do you need a saw for if you're just putting in LT's?

I'm mocking up an exhaust with a couple old catbacks, a hacksaw, a pound in style exhaust expander, a couple adapters and some clamps. It's kind of a pain but I have the time so why not
i don't want to unbolt the stock headers so i'm just going to cut them off

kidding my stock midpipe is welded to my catback.

·
Banned
7,007 Posts
I'd just buy a hacksaw for $10 if you're only going to be cutting a pipe or two. it's a bit of a pain if the pipes are still on the car, but if they are off it'll only take a few minutes.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
even if its a pain, it'll definitely be doable while still on the car?
Yeah it should be fine. It'll honestly only take a couple minutes per side.

Reactions: SON1C

·
Banned
7,007 Posts
Yeah it should be fine. It'll honestly only take a couple minutes per side.
Bingo, you'll be fine. Took me probably 10 minutes per side to cut my catback off but most of that time was spent trying to situate myself so I could get full passes with my saw instead of 1"-2" per cut.

·
Registered
281 Posts
^should still be doable, how much experience do you have with a sawzall? If you haven't used one a whole lot I don't recommend using it laying down they are bad about binding up and coming loose, one of the guys that works for my dad had that happen and it cut him pretty bad it took them 6 hours to get metal shavings out of his leg before they could stitch him up

·
Banned
7,007 Posts
what kind of hacksaw should i buy?
I just bought whatever was cheapest at my local farm supply store since that was the closest place to my house. Wouldn't be a bad idea to pick up a spare blade while you're there just for future use.

Also, it might just be in my head, but I think it cuts easier when you put some WD-40 (or anything like it) on the blade and on the pipe.

·
Banned
7,007 Posts
^should still be doable, how much experience do you have with a sawzall? If you haven't used one a whole lot I don't recommend using it laying down they are bad about binding up and coming loose, one of the guys that works for my dad had that happen and it cut him pretty bad it took them 6 hours to get metal shavings out of his leg before they could stitch him up
Reciprocating saws are hard to get the hang of. For probably the first 5-7 times I used one it'd get caught and either shake the hell out of the piece I was cutting, shake the hell out of my arms, or the blade would rip out of the saw.

I wouldn't suggest using a reciprocating saw on the exhaust if you've never used one before. You could always slip and hit a fuel/brake line or injure yourself.

·
Registered
281 Posts
cut-off wheel FTW ^^...nuff said
they are just as bad about binding as a sawzall if you don't know what your doing, I use one at work every day and would never use one laying down like he will be doing to cut his midpipe

Just get a hacksaw it may take a little bit more time but it could possibly save you a trip to the hospital

·
Premium Member
14,581 Posts
they are just as bad about binding as a sawzall if you don't know what your doing, I use one at work every day and would never use one laying down like he will be doing to cut his midpipe

Just get a hacksaw it may take a little bit more time but it could possibly save you a trip to the hospital
If you just keep the blade straight you won't bind it up. It's not rocket science...the blade goes back and forth. Common sense tells you that if you start going to the side, it's going to bind. I'm not saying accidents don't happen, but if you have half a brain you should be able to avoid that trip to the hospital.

·
Banned
610 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts