Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
6 Cylinduh, Really Bruh?
5,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Besides being super charged, cams, gears, nitrous, exhaust, flsfc, the usual... I'm looking to see what your top 3 favorite mods are? I'm trying to seek out ideas beyond the normal answers typical mustang owners would give. I'll start.

1. Retrofits. We all know how bad the headlights on these cars are. When I did a retrofit with morimoto h1 7.0 minis, morimoto h1 bulbs, and Morimoto ballasts with a dedicated controller... it made driving at night mediocre to enjoyable. Heavy emphasis on thr morimoto name drops. Cheap brands are cheap for a reason. Hell just going to their ballasts blew my mind completely. Over 100 bucks for ballasts when a full kit on eBay can be had on eBay for 30 bucks. Think on that a minute. The quality is next to none.

2. Mgw short throw. This might be a border line "commonly suggested mod" but it completely changed my driving experience. I went from boat rowing to shifting with a flick of a wrist. By far one of favorite driving experience mods. Let me add i had to have a cue ball grip to it. I had a Ford racing one and it felt almost too controlling. The cue ball allowed me to "slap around" the shifter with ease without too much control. I don't know of that makes sense.

3. Raxiom 13-14 tails. I swear this is the mod I get the most compliments on visually out of everything I've done to the car. It's black so it could be claybared and waxed and shined to the stars but that's what pops to most guys. It brings a modern no rice suddle upgrade to the rear with functionality and style ess. With sequential turn signals, led bulbs, and a flasher to slow them down.

So how about it? What's your favorite mods out of the norm? A runner up of mine is a budget mod... cigarette lighter to usb charging adapter. 15 dollar mod that removes the cigarette lighter and adds a dual 2.1a usb charging port. I'm a sucker for adding modern touches to older cars. Don't get me started on my 7" touch screen. But I digress.

Looking for future mods to do which is a side reasoning for this post.

Sent from my SM-G920T1 using Tapatalk

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
Mods outside the norm? My three would all be external cosmetic modifications. Pictures are in my garage.

1. Moved the 99-00 rear wing back 2". The stock position is in the middle of the trunk.

2. Mach 1 Grill Delete/Front Wing. I like it with just the running pony. The kit comes with a black plate to cover the bolt holes. I had it painted green.

3. Cervini's 95 Cobra R heat extracting cowl hood. It is really a ram induction hood. There are vents by the windshield. I once taped yarn just over the vents. Even at speeds as low as 30 mph airflow pulled the yarn into the vents. I did this because the heat in the engine compartment had caused the relay to my electric water pump to fail cutting off power to the pump.

Other then that I've stuck with the basics: TB/Plenum, supercharger, electric water pump, headers, FRPP Hurst shifter, traction control disabled, gauge bezel, subframe connectors, lower control arms, and gears.

I have de-modded a couple of things because I hated them. I had my Flowmaster mufflers cut out and Magnaflows welded in and I had my upper control arms with spherical bushings removed and stock UCAs put back in. In both cases I hated the NVH (noise, vibration, harshness). I'm neutral on the LT headers. Not worth removing but I wouldn't do them again. I have one mod that I would remove if I could. Manual clutch adjustment. I thought it would solve a problem with my Centerforce clutch. It didn't and I'm constantly messing with it.

P.S. I forgot about the dipstick mod. 99-00 Mustang GTs come from the factory with a 5 quart dipstick. The oil pan will hold 8 quarts without any problems. It is highly recommended to run 6 quarts in these motors. I got tired of seeing the dipstick look like I had overfilled the crankcase so I bought a Cobra dipstick at Ford. It's shorter. It now takes 6.5 quarts to hit the full mark.

Reactions: 5rand0n7

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
1- auto swap. Everyone thinks you need a 5 speed or its not cool....well, i was getting bored with my car as a 5 speed. The built auto with a manual valve body is just the thing that kept me from parting out and building something else.

2- holley efi

3- i cant think of a 3rd thats not power adder or suspension related. But i guess smoothed and painted stock mirrors. Not painted body color.....just gloss black. They look so much better than the cheap stock plastic and they dont look gaudy like when theyre paint matched to the car

·
6 Cylinduh, Really Bruh?
5,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
1- auto swap. Everyone thinks you need a 5 speed or its not cool....well, i was getting bored with my car as a 5 speed. The built auto with a manual valve body is just the thing that kept me from parting out and building something else.

2- holley efi

3- i cant think of a 3rd thats not power adder or suspension related. But i guess smoothed and painted stock mirrors. Not painted body color.....just gloss black. They look so much better than the cheap stock plastic and they dont look gaudy like when theyre paint matched to the car
Good stuff. I enjoy my 5 speed and shifting gears. While I respect an auto, i daily a 2018 f150 ecoboost with 10 speed auto, it's nice to shift when I cruise on the weekends.

Do you have pictures of the mirrors? I'm curious as I never thought of this before. I've always just shined them up with a plastic restore shine from chemical guys. Same stuff I use on my cobra chin spoiler and wiper cowl.

---------- Post added at 11:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:28 AM ----------

Mods outside the norm? My three would all be external cosmetic modifications. Pictures are in my garage.

1. Moved the 99-00 rear wing back 2". The stock position is in the middle of the trunk.

2. Mach 1 Grill Delete/Front Wing. I like it with just the running pony. The kit comes with a black plate to cover the bolt holes. I had it painted green.

3. Cervini's 95 Cobra R heat extracting cowl hood. It is really a ram induction hood. There are vents by the windshield. I once taped yarn just over the vents. Even at speeds as low as 30 mph airflow pulled the yarn into the vents. I did this because the heat in the engine compartment had caused the relay to my electric water pump to fail cutting off power to the pump.

Other then that I've stuck with the basics: TB/Plenum, supercharger, electric water pump, headers, FRPP Hurst shifter, traction control disabled, gauge bezel, subframe connectors, lower control arms, and gears.

I have de-modded a couple of things because I hated them. I had my Flowmaster mufflers cut out and Magnaflows welded in and I had my upper control arms with spherical bushings removed and stock UCAs put back in. In both cases I hated the NVH (noise, vibration, harshness). I'm neutral on the LT headers. Not worth removing but I wouldn't do them again. I have one mod that I would remove if I could. Manual clutch adjustment. I thought it would solve a problem with my Centerforce clutch. It didn't and I'm constantly messing with it.

P.S. I forgot about the dipstick mod. 99-00 Mustang GTs come from the factory with a 5 quart dipstick. The oil pan will hold 8 quarts without any problems. It is highly recommended to run 6 quarts in these motors. I got tired of seeing the dipstick look like I had overfilled the crankcase so I bought a Cobra dipstick at Ford. It's shorter. It now takes 6.5 quarts to hit the full mark.
Good stuff. I really wanted to start a thread outside of the norm. It's fun to see what little things people have done to get ideas.

Agreed on the long tubes. That's one mod I wish I listened to people on. They are on but the cost wasn't worth it.

Agreed on filling with 6 qts. I've always put in 6 quarts and always used 5w30. Manual calls for 5 qts of 5w20.

You always had me curious on that electric water pump for years now. My fear is it failing and now that I read you needed a hood to keep it cool makes me glad I didn't do it. That's good info on the hood though. I was looking at a fiber trends 2.5" cowl.

Do you know if hood shocks can be used on an aftermarket hood? I read hood shocks don't work on fiberglass hoods due to their structure. I hate the prop rod

---------- Post added at 11:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:34 AM ----------

Also agreed on the flowmasters. I hate chambered mufflers now. I had both super 44s and flowpaths. If I had to run a chambered itd be flowpaths but the stingers have spoiled my ears.

I have long tubes with an H and stingers. I welded in magnaflow bullet metallic cats, 59956, and it took away the trumpeting and blat sound while killing all exhaust fumes. Sound only decreased by maybe 5 percent. I'll never go catless again.

·
Registered
381 Posts
1. Headlight retrofit - This one is really like 4 things, but I installed projectors, RGB halos, and DRLs. It's one of my absolute favorite mods, and it changed night driving completely. Word of advice - you're opening up a sealed case and re-sealing it... Spend the money on Morimoto and never have to worry about it again. You don't want to buy cheap and have to take it all apart in a couple years, plus, they have an amazing warranty.

It's tough to think of things that aren't your standard upgrades/mods, but I am currently working a couple upgrades that are outside of the norm that I think will be pretty awesome.

2. Steering wheel - Bought a kit from Redlinegoods.com and I am adding thumb grips, replacing the foam, and wrapping my stock wheel in alcantara. It's pretty much done, I am just trying to find an upholsterer to sew the wrap on as I tried and didn't like how it was looking.

3. Heated/Cobra seats - Cobra seats are ridiculously expensive so I am making my own. I am buying Cobra replacement foam and new seat covers from TMI and then going to install some aftermarket seat warmers.

·
King Trashmouth
21,891 Posts

2- holley efi
You guys are killing me with temptations here. I love what people are doing with 6R80s. But I like mine being a true street car and it's lots of fun as is. With the compound setup it spools so damn low too, but I can't help but think I'm leaving lots on the table by not going with a stalled 6R80 and just straight turbo.

And the Holley EFI looks really nice, but I don't know if I want to put in all the work to change it over again.

For my mods it really limits it to appearance stuff.

1.) SN-95 sail panels+ shaved decklid. Those two combined make for a really slick look, kind of like the Bullitts but different. And they're just such cheap mods. Though I hate to put those ideas out there and give out what's part of my unique garbage pile look.

2.) Rock crusher + Hurst shift knob. No more punching the dash. Plus gives it that nice old school muscle feel that I missed from my other cars.

3.) Cobra seats. Such a vast upgrade over the stock GT ones. Much more comfortable and hold you in better.

All the power stuff is the fun stuff though. And I've got lots of others that improved performance but didn't have much for a fun factor, not to mention are more 4V/Cobra specific, such as reconfiguring the cooling system, bigger IC pump, aluminum/delrin IRS bushings, and longtubes just sound so incredible on 4Vs.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
1. Torque arm/panhard bar... It is suspension.. but very uncommon suspension mods. My car tracks straight when the tires break loose, it squats and hooks better, it brakes flatter and the handling is incredible.

2. UPR K MEMBER/A arms and coil overs, i love the space available to work on my car. I would do it again for that reason alone. The weight savings and handling are side benefits to me.

3. Wire tucking, i like having a clean looking engine bay.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Mine are in no particular order:

- Mach 1 grill delete and chin spoiler
- MM 6 point roll cage
- White Face gauges

4) Auto swap (in progress so can't really be on the list)...

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
My top 3 mods that are not a power adder or usual .

1 auto swap with stalled converter

2 fmvb with transbreak

3 abs delete with line lock

The mod the jury is still out on is the cage. Not sure if I like this mod yet. My old ass hates climbing over the bar to get in. Might have to look at putting swing outs in.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Yeah im waiting on team z to call me so i can pick up my new cage. Old one is getting cut out and this one will go in with swingouts.
What cage are you currently using. Do they not offer a swing out option or are you just upgrading. I"m using a Rhodes race car cage and they have the option to add swing

·
Registered
22,813 Posts
1. Steeda street wing - was never a popular choice for anyone with a new edge(I never saw any pictures of another with it) but absolutely loved the look it gave mine.
2. 99/01 cobra bumper - popular if you can find one and thankfully I only paid $150 for it. It along with the mach 1 chin spoiler and the steeda wing really completed the look for me.
3. Playboy pool ball shift knob. Yes, a playboy shift knob. It was the perfect size for my hands and I was pretty much guaranteed to never see another.

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
You always had me curious on that electric water pump for years now. My fear is it failing and now that I read you needed a hood to keep it cool makes me glad I didn't do it. That's good info on the hood though. I was looking at a fiber trends 2.5" cowl.

Do you know if hood shocks can be used on an aftermarket hood? I read hood shocks don't work on fiberglass hoods due to their structure. I hate the prop rod
The electric water pump didn't fail. A $9.95 relay failed (probably because it is located above the driver side header.) I had never see symptoms like that. It was spewing water out the radiator cap. I let it cool off. Filled the radiator and it did it again. I had it towed to a garage. I now carry a spare relay in the glove box. It has failed more time. It takes about 60 seconds and no tools to change it. The problem is finding a water source where you are forced to stop. Its not a mod I'd recommend unless you are going for maximum horsepower.

The first water pump lasted 100,000 miles. You could hear the bearing going. The second lasted 3,000 miles. Same thing. They replaced it under warranty. The third one has lasted over 30,000 miles. Knock on wood.

I don't know if hood struts would work. My car came stock with the prop rod and I'm still using it.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
My top 3 mods that are not a power adder or usual .

1 auto swap with stalled converter

2 fmvb with transbreak

3 abs delete with line lock

The mod the jury is still out on is the cage. Not sure if I like this mod yet. My old ass hates climbing over the bar to get in. Might have to look at putting swing outs in.
Do the swing outs...I like mine a lot.

·
King Trashmouth
21,891 Posts
The electric water pump didn't fail. A $9.95 relay failed (probably because it is located above the driver side header.) I had never see symptoms like that. It was spewing water out the radiator cap. I let it cool off. Filled the radiator and it did it again. I had it towed to a garage. I now carry a spare relay in the glove box. It has failed more time. It takes about 60 seconds and no tools to change it. The problem is finding a water source where you are forced to stop. Its not a mod I'd recommend unless you are going for maximum horsepower.
What relays are you using? Seems some are more prone to failing than others. I've noticed that with my IC pump.

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
What cage are you currently using. Do they not offer a swing out option or are you just upgrading. I"m using a Rhodes race car cage and they have the option to add swing
I have a competition engineering cage. Im actually buying the rhodes swingouts for the team z cage.

Mainly switching because the old one is mild steel, new one is chromoly. Also, the team z cage fits very tight where my current cage not so much and im doing through the floorboard mounting to the subframe connectors to top it off. Overall itll be much nicer and i can put back seats back in. Lol

·
6 Cylinduh, Really Bruh?
5,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Mine are in no particular order:

- Mach 1 grill delete and chin spoiler
- MM 6 point roll cage
- White Face gauges

4) Auto swap (in progress so can't really be on the list)...
Man I hated my white face gauges. I promptly took them out and just did chrome bezels. To me added a hint of class to the stock look. White face looked too riced out for me.

---------- Post added at 01:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:10 AM ----------

1. Steeda street wing - was never a popular choice for anyone with a new edge(I never saw any pictures of another with it) but absolutely loved the look it gave mine.
2. 99/01 cobra bumper - popular if you can find one and thankfully I only paid $150 for it. It along with the mach 1 chin spoiler and the steeda wing really completed the look for me.
3. Playboy pool ball shift knob. Yes, a playboy shift knob. It was the perfect size for my hands and I was pretty much guaranteed to never see another.
Lucky on that cobra bumper! I hunted for so so long to find one like that but no one was selling and the aftermarket never made one. I ended up getting an 03 to 04 prepainted from mbi auto. While the piece is fantastic for the price and fitment was spot on, along with the color match, isn't 100 percent what I wanted but looks way better than the stock one. Got a knock off cobra lip, which was still 200 off lmr like wtf, but Ford wanted 400 plus so that was a deal I suppose. Only thing I hate is the fogs. No matter what I put in the fogs they glare like crazy. Halogen, hid, led, whatever. I pointed them down as much as I couldn't and still it glares. Drives me nuts. I'm hoping morimoto releases a led fog light for it or I might just retro morimoto matchbox projectors in there. I have an extra morimoto mini h1 7.0 laying around. I was toying around with fabbing that in somehow but that'd take some extreme fab work.

Another idea was taking those Amazon f150 LED projectors for fogs and building a bracket to mock it up to the bumper. It's just free time I'm lacking, plus my headlights already light the road up, that don't make it a top priority for me. It sucks not running the fogs tho on the bumper. Imo running the fogs really make the 03 04 bumper pop.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Man I hated my white face gauges. I promptly took them out and just did chrome bezels. To me added a hint of class to the stock look. White face looked too riced out for me.
:)...Nothing ricer about a Cobra Cluster. To each his own though. I do not like the reverse glow gauges...those are ricer to me.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Another idea was taking those Amazon f150 LED projectors for fogs and building a bracket to mock it up to the bumper. It's just free time I'm lacking, plus my headlights already light the road up, that don't make it a top priority for me. It sucks not running the fogs tho on the bumper. Imo running the fogs really make the 03 04 bumper pop.

I would love to get a 99/01 bumper but I'm not dropping $1000 on one so I'll probably end up settling for a 03-04. Have you seen these for fogs? -> https://www.amazon.com/Projector-Tractor-Headlight-Wrangler-Chrysler/dp/B00V7NEPYG A friend of mine put a larger version of these as his Trans Am's fog lights when he retrofitted projectors in his head lights, and they are pretty awesome. They put down a ton of light with a nice cutoff line.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts