Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys new to the forums! I've been a long time gazer to get advice on what mods are the best bang for the buck. On Monday the 25th of April we had an EF2 tornado hit Little Rock Air Force Base where I'm currently stationed. Luckily no one was killed or injuryed unfortunately my 07 GT was. They estimated the damage at $9600. New paint, glass, hood, wheels, gt500 rear spoiler, upper and lower grilles, front and rear bumpers, and new slp exhaust tips. I guess in a way i'll be coming out on top with the new hood (cervinis heat extractor) and paint job it just sucks having to wait 3 weeks untill they are finished. I wondering on the heat extractor hood what keeps water out of the engine bay. I read that there are optional trays that screw in but wasn't 100% sure.

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
a lot of damage! good thing it is getting fixed and isnt totalled!

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
i thought if the damage total was 1/4 the value of the car they would mark it as totaled?

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
WOW! You're lucky it isn't being totalled is an understatement...happy you and your servicemen were un-hurt...Not sure about the heat extractor hood, but the rest sounds like its a "easy" fix...I know how you feel though...those three weeks will be mixed with anticipation for what awesomeness is to come and just general pissyness from not having your car...do you have a second vehicle?

Any pics of your car before the damage? If you've got some extra cash laying around, I'd think about the possibility of getting some rims as well (if yours are still stock...probably not...haha) Also, while its in, any visual upgrades you've been thinking about...new grill, spoiler, fascia, vinyls...etc?

I gave my car to my handy dandy trusty body shop two weeks ago to fix some damage on the quarter panel (light parking incident) and ended up having them take my old stripes off, install new color and design stripes, give the car a whole compound/buff, and now I just asked them to keep the spoiler off and to fill in the holes left...each of those decisions came 4 days, then 3 days later, then 3 days later...haha...while its there you'll have a lot to think about and just wonder what you want to do...JESUS this is a long post...I'm done. :D I feel wrong hitting Post Quick Reply...

P.S. Welcome to the Forums...your life is now over...lol. You will check this website like you change pants...

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
i thought if the damage total was 1/4 the value of the car they would mark it as totaled?

When i wrecked my 08 Spec V, the car's value at the time was $21k....but the damage was 16k....they still totaled it.
Went through this with my Charger last year...if the damage is 70% or more of the current KBB value, then its totaled...

70% of 21k is 14 something...hence why they totalled it...

Pictures by GTman05 - Photobucket

This was also 9600 worth of damage, courtesy of 4 deer...:D

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
I think the number is 50-75%
you're right...that sounds accurate...theres a lot of play with it, insurance companies, body shop...etc...I kinda pushed to have mine totaled so I could upgrade...not like I did anything illegal, just told the body shop to give an honest estimate, not to be conservative

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
you're right...that sounds accurate...theres a lot of play with it, insurance companies, body shop...etc...I kinda pushed to have mine totaled so I could upgrade...not like I did anything illegal, just told the body shop to give an honest estimate, not to be conservative
You could get into some **** maybe for getting better things that weren't originally on the car. Just an FYI... After the repair, all said and done, the car is basically supposed to look identical to before the accident.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
You could get into some **** maybe for getting better things that weren't originally on the car. Just an FYI... After the repair, all said and done, the car is basically supposed to look identical to before the accident.
Well I'm not suggesting anything illegal, what I did was ask my bodyshop to give me an estimate with no discounts, no wiggle room, no deals know what I mean?...and it was totalled so I bought this car:D

What the OP could do, and what I was suggesting, is take the money the insurance company gives him, put in extra if he's got it, and get the parts he wants...some insurance companies, State Farm for me, just ask for two estimates for the damage, send someone to look, and if its not totalled, they just give you a check to give to the body shop for repairs(if its totaled, they gotta deal with lien releases, etc so no wiggle room with that)...you can always take that check for repairs though and add in more of your money to get better parts...The car doesn't have to look identical to the way it did before...at least not in my experience...with my Charger I was going to get a new hood and front fascia if it wasn't totaled, just by putting in extra...Basically it works like this...the body shop is the one buying the parts, not the insurance co...the body shop gets paid (by the insurance co.) for the basic, OEM replacement items...you pay the body shop the extra money for aftermarket parts, bing bang boom...all set and done, nothing illegal

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah the body shop said I could do anything visual as long as the parts don't exceed the cost of oem parts so Monday I'm taking him a parts list to replace my custom parts and see about a different front a nd rear fascia. I had brand new 18 by 9 dd in black maybe 500 miles on them. I don't have any pics yet but ill try to get some up soon. if anyone has any suggestions let me know. The color is redfire.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
For example when I took the car in he quoted me 1199 for a new oem hood so he said as long as it doesn't exceed that price I would be good. I'm not going to be to greedy

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
For example when I took the car in he quoted me 1199 for a new oem hood so he said as long as it doesn't exceed that price I would be good. I'm not going to be to greedy
I think you should be able to(if you have extra money) to put that in...after all, it is your money...ask him about it! Don't think I'm trying to play devils advocate here or trying to get you into some ****, I just think you would be able to get some visual upgrades while its there with your own extra cash...

EDIT: You most definitely can put in extra money towards upgrades, or if the insurance money covers it...there is no law or rule (unless clearly your specific company has it) that says the car has to look the way it did before...

·
Registered
208 Posts
Glad to hear you and your family are safe, as well as everyone else on base. Read an article on how everyone got together to help others, especially those that were in base housing. Hope you will get your car back to the way you want it. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
535 Posts
As far as a way to get around while your car's in the shop, see if you have an allowance for a rental car. Most policys do. Glad to hear everyone's ok.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I'm glad to here that you are ok. Cars, and houses can rebuilt and replaced but I know it is a pain in the butt. I'm sweating it here in the Dallas area right now. The Tornadoes that hit Mississippi and Alabama started out here as EF0-EF1 that touched down 40 miles east of the DFW area but we went through all the warnings. I can't wait to get back home to Phoenix. Well good luck on the mustang.

·
Registered
124 Posts
damn that sucks. apparently a tornado just "slightly" touched down about 5 miles from my house. i JUST got my car out of the shop so it needs to just stay away from this area lol. we've had some pretty crazy weather here recently. Least you and your loved ones are ok and the wait for you car will be worth it.

·
booooost'd
7,545 Posts
Hmm, you should get the hood of your choice, California special front and rear bumper, and a Roush rear spoiler:). These will all end up cheaper than your oem parts and your car will look a lot better.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Hmm, you should get the hood of your choice, California special front and rear bumper, and a Roush rear spoiler:). These will all end up cheaper than your oem parts and your car will look a lot better.
++++1

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
For visual upgrades I had black bullit dd gt500 rear spoiler stack racing upper and lower black billet grilles. They said they would replace it all if damage was found all they needed was info on where I got it. So I made a parts list and am taking it to them Monday

1 - 20 of 20 Posts