Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a flat, it was dark when I was trying to find a wheel/tire to put on, jacked up by what I thought was the frame in the dark. So anyyways the car creaks, I thought it was the jack, pumped jack again, car came crashing down. I look under and the torque box? I think thats what it is, was mangled and the jack was up inside it. I cant get a pic now because its dark buts its the L shaped metal piece to the inside of the rear tires. Front of tires.

I obviously need to fix it but what are the consequences until I do?

·
I Poop Entirely Way Too Much
8,720 Posts
that looks like the outside edge of the torque box. I would say its more secondary support for rigidity then holdin the LCA in.

I would never waste my money on a "kit" like that. Find someone that welds, go to home depot and buy a 2" steel bar, cut accordingly, then weld it up. I did my torque box reinforcements for $15
$80 really isnt that bad. You could save yourself a lil money cutting it up yourself but its gonna take a lil while to get it measured and cut. ANd a shop I could see charging alot more to make them.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
that looks like the outside edge of the torque box. I would say its more secondary support for rigidity then holdin the LCA in.

$80 really isnt that bad. You could save yourself a lil money cutting it up yourself but its gonna take a lil while to get it measured and cut. ANd a shop I could see charging alot more to make them.
That is in fact the torque box right? I wasnt really sure, Theres a reputable metal fab/weld shop in town, I wanted to get flsfc anyways so I may pick those up and have them weld the connectors and weld some plates on the torque boxes at the same time.

Yeah, but it took me all of 30 minutes to cut, bend and weld them. Well worth the $65 in my mind. But i can do my own work.
I want to learn to weld, but have never actually done it

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I havent had a chance to do suspension work yet, coming soon, but will the welded plates make it harder to do the control arms? meaning should I do them first then weld every thing or does it not really matter

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
Thats just an oversize access hole for the control arm bolts. It takes more than a slipping jack to trash a box, even without the control arm in there. Bend it back with whatever, clean it up, hit it with a little primer or paint, and forget about it. If it will make you feel better, buy some battle boxes.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thats just an oversize access hole for the control arm bolts. It takes more than a slipping jack to trash a box, even without the control arm in there. Bend it back with whatever, clean it up, hit it with a little primer or paint, and forget about it. If it will make you feel better, buy some battle boxes.
Appreciate the reply, thanks

·
I Poop Entirely Way Too Much
8,720 Posts
Yeah, but it took me all of 30 minutes to cut, bend and weld them. Well worth the $65 in my mind. But i can do my own work.
I do my own work too, swapped my motor out, but metal working requires more specialty/expensive tools and skills. Not everyone can handle it. If your able to do metal work then you can save money but if not thats a good deal.

I havent had a chance to do suspension work yet, coming soon, but will the welded plates make it harder to do the control arms? meaning should I do them first then weld every thing or does it not really matter
No the plates just reinforce the metal thats there, they dont affect fitment in anyway.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts