Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Painted the calipers today and don't have any way of knowing if i torqued my lugnuts to back to 100.....so i asked my mechanic buddy if i could drive on my hand tightened wheels for the night and then get it done in the morning? or should i wait till the morning and drive straight to the shop?

he said i could wait....but i rather get some extra opinions so i don't lose my wheels when i'm driving lol!

on a side note. i wrenched the tightest i could get it.

thanks and reps!

·
The Mustang Shop
445 Posts
Painted the calipers today and don't have any way of knowing if i torqued my lugnuts to back to 100.....so i asked my mechanic buddy if i could drive on my hand tightened wheels for the night and then get it done in the morning? or should i wait till the morning and drive straight to the shop?

he said i could wait....but i rather get some extra opinions so i don't lose my wheels when i'm driving lol!

on a side note. i wrenched the tightest i could get it.

thanks and reps!
This is a difficult question to answer because we don't know your skills.

I will tell you this. Even though I always torque my wheels, I have been working on cars long enough to know that I can tighten a lug nut and it won't ever loosen on its own.

What would you do if you had a flat and had to install the spare? The factory doesn't provide a torque wrench.

Reactions: H-town-gt

·
Premium Member
1,029 Posts
This is a difficult question to answer because we don't know your skills.

I will tell you this. Even though I always torque my wheels, I have been working on cars long enough to know that I can tighten a lug nut and it won't ever loosen on its own.

What would you do if you had a flat and had to install the spare? The factory doesn't provide a torque wrench.
+1

I've taken my wheels off multiple times in my driveway without torquing the lugs back on. Actually, to be honest I think it's been over a year since the lugs have been torqued.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Yeah I tighten by hand until veins pop out of my forehead and never had a problem driving

Reactions: H-town-gt

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
haha thanks guys!

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah Ive done it twice before... and I weigh 95 lbs.
do you live in kingwood?

i swear i've seen you driving around before

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Honestly unless you're a little baby your wheels are probably torqued over 100 ft lbs.
hahah thank you nasty! i'd like to think i'm not a baby!

·
Premium Member
4,253 Posts
As above...tighten them Goodentight.

Then...free torque wrench rental at AutoZone. 100 LB-ft.

·
Registered
73 Posts
+1 to what everyone else has said. Here is my method: while the tire is off the ground, tighten lugs in criss-cross pattern. When you try to tighten more and the wheel turns, that's when I spin the wheel in the opposite direction and then suddenly tighten that lug more. Repeat that process with each lug. Then when the wheel is back on the ground, I tighten about 1/8 to 1/4 turn more (still in a criss-cross pattern).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts