Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some advice. i want to fix the paint on my stang. the spoiler, trunk, rear bumper, roof and back two quarter panels have faded. i was looking online at touch up paint and saw a company made spray paint in my cars color. here the question would it be worth it to touch up the paint with spray cans and if so would it look any good. because my work with my wheels came out great no runs or anything like that but this is a much larger project.

·
What's this Photoshop?
2,426 Posts
Depends on how bad it is faded. If it is just surface oxidation, which I believe it is. I'd try and buff a section first before I'd paint it. Now if any of it looks like it's peeling up or has peeled up, then it will need to be repainted.

As for the spray paint, you can try it. I wouldn't, but I have access to a spray booth.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I dont think its just oxidation. i buffed the car myself once and it did nothing. i might take it to a detail place and see if they can do it. The metal should buff out, but the spoiler and rear bumper are really faded being that they are plastic.

·
What's this Photoshop?
2,426 Posts
I dont think its just oxidation. i buffed the car myself once and it did nothing. i might take it to a detail place and see if they can do it. The metal should buff out, but the spoiler and rear bumper are really faded being that they are plastic.
Remember what you used to buff it with? I usually use 3M perfect it Rubbing Compound Fine Cut. You can actually take a little bit on a rag and rub it in one direction in a small spot to see.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It was Mothers rubbing compound and it was crap. absolute crap. im still wiping white residue from my hood from that **** and i used it 2 years ago.

·
What's this Photoshop?
2,426 Posts
It was Mothers rubbing compound and it was crap. absolute crap. im still wiping white residue from my hood from that **** and i used it 2 years ago.
Well, sounds like you gave it a good try. Still wiping white residue? Did you do this by hand or buffer? Shouldn't be an white residue except maybe the edges or any sling off from the buffer, but 2 years later wow. Clean with water to remove any sling off after you're done, or it will harden up.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
At this point im just going to get a price on someone detailing my car. i love my mustang but the mismatched red paint is pissing me off.

·
Old timer
9,296 Posts
Take a look at the stickies in the detailing section. I highly doubt you correctly buffed your paint. Do you have any pics of the paint itself? I might be able to recommend some good products to get your paint looking as good as new.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i grab my camera tomorrow and take a few pics.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
heres some pic i got this morning.

as you can see it has faded out into a fagish salmon pink color on most of the back half of the car.

·
Premium Member
1,169 Posts
wow. no strike that... WOW! there thats better.

I definatley do not advise the rattle can touch up paint for that. you are gonna end up spraying half your car! to me that really dosnt look like xidation, but Ill let Weems chime in on htat. to me it looks like a trip to a professional detailer or body shop is in your future.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
its actually pretty smooth. i tried to get to a detail shop today but i missed the guy so im going tomorrow to get a quote. he said from the sound of it because its faded to pink and not whiteish he should be able to work with it but he still need to take a look at it.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well i got a price from a detailer. he said he'd normally charge 400 to take out the oxidation, but since its only on the back half of the car he'll do it for 195 and it would take him about 3 hours. hes not sure about the spoiler though. it might be to faded so i might have to repaint it.

·
What's this Photoshop?
2,426 Posts
well i got a price from a detailer. he said he'd normally charge 400 to take out the oxidation, but since its only on the back half of the car he'll do it for 195 and it would take him about 3 hours. hes not sure about the spoiler though. it might be to faded so i might have to repaint it.
That doesn't sound to bad. Repainting the spoiler wouldn't be too bad. Hope it works out.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
we'll see. it probably wont happen until two fridays from tomorrow. this pay check is tires and engine.

·
Registered
5 Posts
paint bumper?

Hi,
I just bought a 2004 V6 Mustang in red 3 weeks ago. The front bumper needs work. I'm not sure if its chipped paint, overspray or what but it feels rough. It was a Florida car so maybe sand/rock. I tried rubbing compound but didn't work. Is it worth it to have it sanded down and repainted , or buy a new bumper online and have that painted professionally. This is my first Mustang!!! Thanks.
Dee

1 - 17 of 17 Posts