Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
FBGM
6,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Proxes R888 | Toyo Tires

My father is dead set on getting these tires, he wont get me drag radials, I showed him a set of nitto 555Rs that in the long run would be worlds cheaper. So i guess im stuck, so what are the pros and cons on these tires, anything that would be out of the ordinary, abnormal wear, or they dont grip that well, or that they run small or big, and I know these cannot be driven in cold weather and are short on tire life, and I wish I could get some other tires but they dont really have any of the sizes I want in anything but a Competition tire.

·
BTM AutoSport
2,710 Posts
Those are road racing tires. If you want something that has good forward grip for drag racing type of driving, these are not necessarily the best type of tires. Nor will driving these on the street be very good, they are a heat cycle competition tire and driving on the freeway will essentially just kill the tire life.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
^ I'd say Iroush never had a set.

LOVE mine. Awesome hook on the street and has good manners if caught in the rain.

Holding up well. I run full slicks & skinnies at the drag track - can't comment there on the 888s

If you're looking for an out ... they don't come taller than my 305 35 18s - might be short on an S197

·
BTM AutoSport
2,710 Posts
^ I'd say Iroush never had a set.
Wrong. I used to run them on my last car for track days. The toyo rep I dealt with when I bought them at Buttonwillow, told me not to run them on the street or you'll never get the peak grip they're capable of when I do take them to the track. yes they are DOT legal, but I will never run them on the street much like I'd never run Hoosier A6 or R6 on the street either, even if they are DOT legal.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
^ I agree - if you want max grip on any tire for track I wouldn't street them.

If you want them for mixed use between street and strip - I like em & they hold and grip well.

·
FBGM
6,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would love to just get a set of drag radials, but is the life on the highway is that true, because that could sway his desicion, because to get anywhere where I live thats not 20 mins away you gotta hit the highway, and I just dont understand his hatred of drag radials, he had some on a fox, but I asked him and he wouldnt give me an answer, just that he didnt want them.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
My 888s are wearing better than DRs

No issues on the highway for me.

They are safe in the rain - can't say that about many (any?) DRs

You could just fib to him and tell him I said the 888s suck lol

·
FBGM
6,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I guess I could, and even the Nitto 555s Ive had the non drag radial kinda sucked pretty bad in the rain. But I guess he feels since he got a new job he can buy a bunch of expensive stuff, but I know my mom will set him straight when I need another set in a year or two.

·
At the Apex pulling 1.28g
6,578 Posts
Those are road racing tires. If you want something that has good forward grip for drag racing type of driving, these are not necessarily the best type of tires. Nor will driving these on the street be very good, they are a heat cycle competition tire and driving on the freeway will essentially just kill the tire life.
Ehhh... yes and no. Lots of people saying that they noticed no difference in the tire at track events after daily driving and lots saying they fried from street driving. Unless you are cornering like a mad mo-fo I doubt you could get these hot enough to put a heat cycle on them. It's entirely possible to not get them hot enough to have proper grip though.

I personally wouldn't run R888's anyway, but I'd take them a long ass time before I took a set of Nittos...

One thing is for sure, launching on a set of R888's will teach you a lot about launch techniques and should do so without imparting a lot of shock forces to your drivetrain saving wear and tear on really expensive to replace parts and they will be safer to drive on the streets with then a set of drag radials.

PS. I've met people who have driven their sets of R6's to and from track events some 50 miles each way with ill effect. The guy races Vipers but bought a Boss 302 for a fun little track toy and drives to and from events on his R6's because he is literally getting to the age where it becomes difficult to constantly be lifting heavy objects while bent over.

·
Registered
13,626 Posts
IMO, the triple 8's are going to be better as an overall street tire than the triple 5's or any DR. I'm a big fan of the Toyo T1R's if your dad is dead set on getting Proxes. They have a better tread pattern for wet weather traction and you don't have to get them as hot to get them to grip. Have your dad give them a look see.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
IMO, the triple 8's are going to be better as an overall street tire than the triple 5's or any DR. I'm a big fan of the Toyo T1R's if your dad is dead set on getting Proxes. They have a better tread pattern for wet weather traction and you don't have to get them as hot to get them to grip. Have your dad give them a look see.
x2 on the T1Rs - I run them up front as a compliment to the R888s in the rear

·
Registered
13,626 Posts
x2 on the T1Rs - I run them up front as a compliment to the R888s in the rear

I used to run them on all four corners till I went to DR's. When I get some track only rims and tires I will probably run these all around again. Only reason why I have triple 5's in the front was I needed a set of fronts that day and couldn't get the T1R's in time.

·
FBGM
6,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
But those t1s I cant find anything bigger than a 285

·
gtscrewd
5,228 Posts
kmac just buy my stock 235 50 18 and run them for now super cheap 80 bucks for both only used them for 9 or 10 k lots of tread bfg gforce

·
FBGM
6,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I dont need them till the spring, I havent even driven it since october,and those tires wont fit on the rims I have on the front, but I hate going down there and seeing it all torn apart cuz I want to drive it when I come home from school.

·
FBGM
6,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
And unfortanelty in this time in my cars life it wont be tracked because Im scared of breaking something, like the drive shaft or trans, or worse, so Hopefully once I get a job I can actually get a built motor, trans and fuel system, and keep it at around 550-600hp, with my current supercharger.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts