Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I replaced the TPS on my mustang a while back? Do you have to set the voltage and such on them and is there any good instructionals?

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
nope dont mess with it
its automatic
i dont care what no one says about setting voltage and such
thats a myth

·
Registered
129 Posts
What eddy said. If you're having to round out the mount holes to adjust it then its going out. Ours aren't the adjustable type if its a stock tps.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay thats good to know... I have seen some threads about adjustang it, but should I at least check to see if it is getting good voltage or anything? My car is coming to a stop and dying! I have changed the TPS, IAC, MAF, almost everything... As soon as the car gets hot it wants to die! Checked vaccum and fuel pressure both are great!

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
It means they are gonna charge you $95 to tighten random clamps in your engine bay and then say, "You're all set!"

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Okay... Well thx guys I dnt know what to do with this car but im at that point of hatred towards it!

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
Why didn't you just have Joe fix your stalling issues in the tune?
Did not stall all the time but would drop very low(clutch disengaged coming to stop). his tune did address/cure it AFTER I set the throttle body.

A tune won't fix a lot of things. you can tune a car for ct operation but there is a big difference in throttle plate postion (bypassed air)between .5v and 1.1V which the computer see's as ct. I am very pleased with Joes tune

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
Did not stall all the time but would drop very low(clutch disengaged coming to stop). his tune did address/cure it AFTER I set the throttle body.

A tune won't fix a lot of things. you can tune a car for ct operation but there is a big difference in throttle plate postion (bypassed air)between .5v and 1.1V which the computer see's as ct. I am very pleased with Joes tune

The throttle plate just needs to be adjusted to establish a correct base idle and to prevent the plate from completely closing and sticking closed. The IAC and what the computer commands the IAC to do will solve your stalling issues the correct way. The screw on there is to set the base idle and that is it.

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
The throttle plate just needs to be adjusted to establish a correct base idle and to prevent the plate from completely closing and sticking closed. The IAC and what the computer commands the IAC to do will solve your stalling issues the correct way. The screw on there is to set the base idle and that is it.

what do think setting the tps voltage to the highest voltage seen by the computer as closed throttle does(you cannot adjust switch so you have to open throttle blades to raise voltage)? possibly set the base idle at the highest? which helps with stalling when stopping or a/c comes on etc

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
what do think setting the tps voltage to the highest voltage seen by the computer as closed throttle does(you cannot adjust switch so you have to open throttle blades to raise voltage)? possibly set the base idle at the highest? which helps with stalling when stopping or a/c comes on etc
Nope, I'll say it again. The adjustment screw on your throttle body is used to adjust the throttle plate and establish a base idle. Your TPS switch should read between about .70-1.10vdc with the plate closed. All this tells the computer is that the plate is closed. The reason for a range is because all parts are not created equal. One sensor could read .70vdc and when replaced with an "identical" tps on the same throttle body, the new sensor could read 1.05vdc. That doesn't mean that your car will idle higher with the new sensor. What you have done is open your throttle plate to allow more air to pass through when the throttle is supposed to be closed, which essentially is just overriding the IAC who's sole job is to control the amount of air entering the engine at idle. Hence why it is called an Idle Air Control valve. This little guy is the one who opens up and adds air to increase idle under various circumstances such as cold starts, when the a/c is turned on, extra load on the engine etc....If the IAC is doing it's job correctly, (which is dictated by the parameters in the tune) you shouldn't have to have your throttle plate open all the time to keep it running.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts